AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic remarketing - questions for my first campaign

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have some quick questions about feed formating for a dynamic remarketing campaign which I have recently setup.

My setup is made with a custom feed ( without selecting a type of business). The custom feed is loaded in the AdWords interface, not a merchant center account.

1) In the custom feed there is a column "contextual keywords" .

After adding 4-5 keywords for each product I noticed a very low impression volume, even if the audiences have thousands of members.

Are these "contextual keywords" restricting traffic and I should remove them because the targeting is already narrowed by being a remarketing list ? I have seen that the contextual keywords are not mandatory in the feed.

2) If the price on the landing page changes Google will check immediately the price in my feed and disapprove the product ?

Are the prices that I input in the "custom feed" cross checked by google using the "Destination URL" or are those prices entirely up to me to check from time to time ?

3) What happens if by mistake the "Item subtitle" and other rows which should be 25 characters , have a longer input, are they truncated when the ad is shown or the items become disapproved in the feed ?

4) Can the "Image URL" column include spaces which are translated in the Ascii %20 ?

5) The decimal separator for prices has to be a dot not a comma, from what I understand in the documentation ,is that correct ? ( the exported feed from the online shop uses the comma separator for decimals so I have to do a search and replace )

6) The first columns Id1 and Id2 are supposed to be "Any sequence of letters and digits. IDs must be unique." but I have product codes that include minus signs, plus signs and spaces, because the product codes are mor "part names" .

Will this be a problem and I should ask the online store to rebuild the product codes to include letters and numbers without any other signs ?

After the initial upload the feed was approved even if the IDs were not as requested, but I am worried that a second review may disapprove the feed because of the ID formatting standard. I don't want to have such a "nice surprise" at a high traffic hour.

7) How many items can the "custom feed" include for the Dynamic Remarketing . 9000 will be too much ?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Dynamic remarketing - questions for my first campaign

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

To other questions - 

Can the "Image URL" column include spaces which are translated in the Ascii %20 ?

I believe YES. As the guidelines says any symbols used within the image URL must be replaced by URL encoded entities (e.g. comma = %2C).

It should be fine if you are using encoded entities.

If the price on the landing page changes Google will check immediately the price in my feed and disapprove the product ?

With the Automatic Update of feeds for price and availability being confined to Merchant Center Feeds, I believe, Google must still be checking it at an undisclosed interval, not immediately though.

Hence to me, it is always best to ensure that the information on the website and on the feed match with each other. If they not, they are always prone to get disapproved.

What happens if by mistake the "Item subtitle" and other rows which should be 25 characters , have a longer input, are they truncated when the ad is shown or the items become disapproved in the feed ?

I believe they are more prone to get disapproved than that of getting truncated. Why? A violation.

The decimal separator for prices has to be a dot not a comma, from what I understand in the documentation, is that correct ? ( the exported feed from the online shop uses the comma separator for decimals so I have to do a search and replace )

Yes, I would agree.

About items IDs

Yes Adrian, it would be better if you get the IDs regenerated to be a combination of digits and numbers only. Not doing this might invite problems.

Additionally, it says that once an item is submitted, the id must not change when you update your data feed or be used for a different product at a later point in time. Hence, it is better to be full proof from the beginning.

Documentations do not make it clear that symbols cannot be used, however they do say that it should be a combination of number and digits. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
All great questions. Who wants to help Adrian?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mini, thanks for helping out, I guess there are not many who have used this feature .

I have some more questions after setting up this campaign

1) The "Dynamic ad" setup in the Ad Gallery requests the input of a field "Landing page" , yet the feed has separate "Destination URLs" for each product. I expected the clicks on this type of ad to lead visitors to individual product pages but instead it took them to the same "Landing page" for all the clicks I got in the first day.

Why are the clicks going to the static "Landing page" per ad instead of the dynamic "Destination URL" per product from the feed ? I can see that the Ad is dynamic, it showcases various products for each impression so it should also take a click to each product URL, but it isn't happening.

2) There is a also a field while setting up the ad called "Client Name(optional) " with no info bubble near it.

What am I supposed to insert here ?

3) Is it normal to have a 1.5- 2 % CTR for these ads considering they are display ads ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

You always come up with great questions. Thank you. 

I will answer with my views here. 

To your first question -

Contextual targeting better suits advertisers focused on performance and cost-efficient conversions since ads will provide useful information to readers and attract an audience with an established interest in your message.

Having said that, I don’t think there’s a need to go with contextual keywords in the case of Remarketing. Why? As you already have audience with an established interest in your message. That is the reason you are going to retarget them.

Adding contextual keywords will definitely narrow the targeting as it will filter out the people who are not on the pages/websites with contextual-keywords matched contents.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

To other questions - 

Can the "Image URL" column include spaces which are translated in the Ascii %20 ?

I believe YES. As the guidelines says any symbols used within the image URL must be replaced by URL encoded entities (e.g. comma = %2C).

It should be fine if you are using encoded entities.

If the price on the landing page changes Google will check immediately the price in my feed and disapprove the product ?

With the Automatic Update of feeds for price and availability being confined to Merchant Center Feeds, I believe, Google must still be checking it at an undisclosed interval, not immediately though.

Hence to me, it is always best to ensure that the information on the website and on the feed match with each other. If they not, they are always prone to get disapproved.

What happens if by mistake the "Item subtitle" and other rows which should be 25 characters , have a longer input, are they truncated when the ad is shown or the items become disapproved in the feed ?

I believe they are more prone to get disapproved than that of getting truncated. Why? A violation.

The decimal separator for prices has to be a dot not a comma, from what I understand in the documentation, is that correct ? ( the exported feed from the online shop uses the comma separator for decimals so I have to do a search and replace )

Yes, I would agree.

About items IDs

Yes Adrian, it would be better if you get the IDs regenerated to be a combination of digits and numbers only. Not doing this might invite problems.

Additionally, it says that once an item is submitted, the id must not change when you update your data feed or be used for a different product at a later point in time. Hence, it is better to be full proof from the beginning.

Documentations do not make it clear that symbols cannot be used, however they do say that it should be a combination of number and digits. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Ratan Jha

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

My pleasure Adrian. Smiley Happy

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
Hi Ratan,

Thanks for helping Adrian with his tough questions by providing great answers.

Best,
Mini

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ha ha , my client already has a sale from the first 12 clicks on dynamic remarketing ads.

The text variants have the most impressions, even though they do include an image of the product, but they are not animated.

This seems to be the best feature for the Display Network traffic.

I asked the chat support and the feed doesn't have a small limit , it supports up to 400.000 rows of data.

Also "Client Name" is supposed to be the name of the business and it appears in the Ad, I have used this field to show the domain URL.

The "landing page" is a mandatory field and it is used if we are targeting the audience "General visitors" and the system cannot find a better path for the Ad, like the product already added to the cart.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Thank you Mini.

And yes Adrian, thank you for sharing updates on other questions, they are useful to me as well.

Happy advertising !

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+