AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic remarketing campaign set up - ""dynx_itemid" for custom option

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I would like to ask for your support on implementing dynamic ads tags. I've searched all the past questions about this error, however, they seem to be different than mine - or I am unable to figure out what is wrong.

I am promoting the website http://www.ravissante.ro/ and because it is e-commerce outside the US I picked the custom option. The steps I took in implementing the tags are:

• Set up datalayer to push event at (product page, cart and purchase pages) along with product id and price
  • Created datalayer variables for product id and for price
  • Then I created triggers based on the events from datalayer
  • And in the end I added tags (for view content, add to cart and for purchase) that contain the variables and the triggers above
    •  Custom parameters are manually specified:
      •   dynx_itemid = {{Adwords - productId}}
      •   dynx_pagetype = 'ViewContent'
      •   dynx_totalvalue = {{Adwords - productPrice}

I can see that custom dimensions were created in Analytics for dynx_itemid and dynx_pagetype, however, dynx_totalvalue is missing.

In the same time audiences were created in Anlaytics, however, just General visitors ones is registering visitors. I guess this is related to the error I see in Adwords about the dynx_itemid dimension missing.

Please let me know if you can see any mistake in my implementation.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Laura

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic remarketing campaign set up - ""dynx_itemid" for custom option

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Laura,

I just had a look at the site and went to a product page where I can see that your variables are being populated (see image below):

forum dynx_itemid.PNG

The one thing that I would suggest if the error is persisting is to remove single ID's from an array and just pass the value. Use an array when pushing multiple ID's.

Let me know if this resolved any of the issues.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton,

Thank you for your response. Actually, I added the array in hope that will solve the problem and it didn't. Do you want else I should try?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Laura,

If you go to your AdWords account that has the remarketing list and look under Shared Library > Audiences you should see a box in the top right hand corner detailing what is happening with your tag.

If you click the box that says 'tag details' and then drop down the custom parameters in the pop up does it tell you that all of your parameters are active?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clynton,

The error I get in Adwords is: The tag is active but we couldn't find any custom parameters. And below is Your tag doesn't include the custom parameter "dynx_itemid". 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Laura,

I have just found what I believe to be the error. Either you did not enter the conversion ID properly in GTM or you are pulling in the wrong variable into the slot (if you store your conversion ID in a variable). See screen shot below for your Dynamic remarketing tag, the conversion ID should not be 1:

Conversion ID.PNG

Hope this resolves the issue. I should have noticed this earlier :/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton,

This sounds like a possible solution, I set up conversionID at 1 because I don't have a datalayer variable for this. Should I create one, or it is not necessary?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Laura,

It is not necessary to create a data variable for this. You can create a GTM variable if you are going to be using it often (I often do this with GA ID's). The conversion ID will be constant among all your AdWords tags for the same account, it is the conversion Label that is different.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton,

Now I get it! Thank you very much. I created a conversion ID variable and added it to the tags. Hope this will resolve the issues.

Do you know when I should check the tag check in Adwords?

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Laura,

You should be able to tell pretty soon. At most I would give it an hour or 2 and see if things are looking better.