AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic insertion based on keyword list?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site is a directory of companies. My site URLs for each company is formatted as domain.com/companies/[COMPANY-NAME] so if Google was listed in my site, it would show as domain.com/companies/google. 

This is my current ad set up right now.

http://i.imgur.com/XCwn8Mo.png

My understanding of keyword insertion is that it is based off the search that a user conducts. However, what if I would like to base it off the keywords in my target list instead? For example, what is a user searches for "Google marketing" and I only want my ad to show "Domain - Google" in the headline? Is there a way to have my ad show up for all the broad searches of the keyword but only show the exact keyword in my keyword list?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic insertion based on keyword list?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey William,

Welcome to the AdWords Community Smiley Happy

As per your understanding, Dynamic Keyword Insertion (DKI) works just like you said before. It is based on user's search query. For your need, it is not possible to achieve through DKI.

However, you can use broad match modifiers like +Company +Marketing, +Company +Profile, +Company +Services. This can get a good control on related searches and you should create ads per company basis manually. But in your case, it is quite a long task to create ads for huge list of companies. If you can use AdWords Editor, you can save huge time.

Also, you must pay attention to Trademarks Policy. Trademarked terms like ccompany name can be used in keyword list, but not in the ad headlines/descriptions (unless you are authorized). Repeated violations, can ban you from using AdWords.

Thanks!

Shafi Ahamed

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Please note that with DKI the "word" inserted, is the keyword  which triggers  the ad. (And not the search term - as many advertisers tend to think)

Now, which keyword triggers the ad, is a topic by itself. The algorithm is quite complex, and  could be  hardly controlled.

Thus, I recommend that DKI is  used only with exact match. Otherwise, the wording  of the headline could be (a bit) "weird" 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did think about using exact match for these keywords, however, that would filter out my ad from displaying for someone searching for my keyword + another term, correct?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your input Shafi.

I was not aware of the Trademarks policy so thank you for pointing that out!