AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Search Ads plus adding explicit keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What happens when I explicitly add keywords to a Dynamic Search Ad campaign. Let's say I'm Macys. If I have a regular DSA campaign it probably tries it's best to figure out what is best to advertiser against from my existing pages on macys.com. However, if I put "womens jeans" as an explicit keyword in my DSA then it'll actually try to place ads for that keyword. However, where does that keyword actually send people since my ads don't have an explicit landing page? Does DSA actually figure out the best landing page for me for that keyword?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil M
September 2015

Re: Dynamic Search Ads plus adding explicit keywords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Phil,
Positive keywords have no effect on your DSA actually even if you have them in your campaign.
Only negative keywords have effect on DSA and if you have negative keywords in your DSA your ads wont be triggered for search terms which match those keywords.
I hope this makes sense
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil M
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Phil,
Positive keywords have no effect on your DSA actually even if you have them in your campaign.
Only negative keywords have effect on DSA and if you have negative keywords in your DSA your ads wont be triggered for search terms which match those keywords.
I hope this makes sense
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

To build on the previous great answer from Nik, I would like to focus on "Does DSA actually figure out the best landing page for me for that keyword?"

DSA creates Ads and it automatically picks landing pages, but only for search terms which match words from your organic listings , not your keyword tab. This is explained in the following phrase from the help : 

"When we find searches that are a match for your dynamic ad targets, we generate an ad text headline with a destination URL that links to the most appropriate page from your website."

Here is what you can input in a DSA Ad ( 2 description lines and a display URL )

DSA-what-you-get-to-input.png

The keywords tab is active in a DSA campaign because you can run text ads in Search in parallel with DSA Ads. The negative keywords option however impacts both normal text ads and DSA ads.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

You have already received a good reply by Nikhil,

Regarding your last question:-

Does DSA actually figure out the best landing page for me for that keyword?

Yes, DSA creates best headlines and choose landing page based on search terms and your landing (webpages) titles. A landing page titles appear at the top of browser windows. Thus if you have relevant landing page title, AdWords redirects users to relevant pages. You can see the detail reports of Search Terms in Auto target Tab, where you will get search term report with Ads headlines, Page Title or Landing page.

DSA Search Terms.png

Please find the more information about the Search terms of DSA in this thread:-

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Dynamic-Search-Ads-Keywords/td-p/279749

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’