AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Search Ads Compete Against Regular Search Ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Everyone,

I've recently been looking into running DSA's for some of my client's campaigns, however, I don't entirely understand how they work or interact with other search campaigns. If I were to build out DSA campaigns, would I be competing against myself in auctions? Would it be in my best interest to stop pointing standard search ads to the same areas of the site that the Dynamic Ads are targeting or would they not effect one another?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Taylor T
March 2016

Re: Dynamic Search Ads Compete Against Regular Search Ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Taylor.

Here's how the whole thing works: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471185?hl=en

In particular, here's a very relevant paragraph that explains the interaction between dynamic search ads and keyword-targeted ads:

"When a user's search exactly matches a keyword in your keyword-based campaign, your ad from your keyword-based campaign will show instead of your dynamic search ad, as long as the two ads belong to the same AdWords account, or to different accounts belonging to the same advertiser if the accounts are linked. (Please contact your customer service representative if you want to link multiple accounts. However, we might show your dynamic search ad instead of your keyword-targeted ad when a customer's search term is a broad match or phrase match to one of your keywords and when your dynamic search ad has a higher Ad Rank."

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hello Calin,

"When a user's search exactly matches a keyword in your keyword-based campaign, your ad from your keyword-based campaign will show instead of your dynamic search ad, as long as the two ads belong to the same AdWords account, or to different accounts belonging to the same advertiser if the accounts are linked."---About this,if the DSA has a higher Ad Rank,will it still show the keyword-based ad?

Thanks.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

"However, we might show your dynamic search ad instead of your keyword-targeted ad when a customer's search term is a broad match or phrase match to one of your keywords and when your dynamic search ad has a higher Ad Rank."

If you have an exact match only campaign, and you want to make sure that no DSA ads show for those exact search queries, then exclude those exact match terms as campaign level negatives in the DSA campaign. If you already have a working/premium exact match campaign with highly structured ad groups and ad copy, then you don't want any DSA ads to distract from or interfere with that campaign. However if you are using broader match terms, and the DSA campaign earns a higher adrank due to a more relevant dynamic headline and URL, then you would want the DSA campaign to show an ad for those queries.

The big advantage of DSA campaigns is that you can capture more of the "long tail" using less structure, and automatically generate headlines and destination URLs that are the most relevant to the query. DSA also allows to find underlying search queries through the search terms report that you may not have found yet from KW based campaigns. You may not get as much control as exact match KW targeted search campaigns, so make sure you take steps to "protect" your premium campaign(s).

Tom