AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Search Ad - Destination URL Problem

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi

I have just recognized a problem - I think it is seriuos - about dynami search ad destination urls.

I have set up the auto targets like this:

Auto target is set for "URL contains KEYWORD and PAGE_CONTET contains ANOTHER WORD"

Dynamic URL for the ads is {unescapedlpurl} - as we need tracking.

However when I check the search terms report (Campaign --> Auto target tab --> See search terms --> All) I see the destination URLs like this:

http://customerdomain.hu/webshop/product-category/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=adjecti...

As the post editor handle this as a real url, and does not show its full lengths, I repeat the parameter part of the URL here:

utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=adjective%20KEYWORD%20ar&utm_content=another_adjective%20KEYWORD&utm_campaign=campaign_name

THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM: targeting content based on campaign tracking parameters!

Another information, just to see the whole picture (however it does not related to the basic problem, using tracking parameters for content targeting)

Actually I was not able to find the source of this URL (checked the website, also checked in webmaster tools, no reference for such an URL)
And when I check the sample urls (on auto target tab, website coverage column, hovering over  speech bubble, only correct url are displayed.

Any help? Idea?

Regards,

István

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maczi
September 2015

Re: Dynamic Search Ad - Destination URL Problem

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Eventuall I found a solution. In webmaster tools (fortunatelly I have access to the customer's webmaster tool account) under the
--> Crawl menu (on the left)
--> URL parameters submenu
There is a pege, where you could check and set how Google handles URL parameters.
The utm_campaign, utm_source, utm_medium was listed so I set them (clicking on "edit" in the same row where the parameter is listed) as this paramter does not change content; There is a question here "Does this parameter change page content seen by the user?" and I chose the answer: "No: Doesn't affect page content (ex: tracks usage).
Then I added utm_content, utm_term manually, and set the same handling option for them

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

In case you are not using tracking parameters for destination URLs in your Dynamic Search ads, then Google is going to automatically pick the relevant URLs from your website based on what sort of auto targets you have set. It will also depend upon how well your website is placed organically in natural search results.

Here are the details on using dynamic tracking URLs with DSAs: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549100

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Dear Pankaj

Thank You for you answer, but your answer are not related to my problem.
I am a Top contributor for Adwords, I know Adwords well.

My question/problem is not related to dynamic tracking.

My porblem is that I set up an auto target for dynamic ads. However Adwords using an URL which does not meet my targeting purpose, because the webiste url does not meet with the given critera. But Adwords takes an URL (form somewheres) where a tracking parameter (!!!) and not a content related parameter meet the criteria I set. So it directs my ads to pages not releated to my setting!

I just could repeat myself, targeting content using tracking parameters is bad practice, and makes the usage of dínamyc ads dangerous (as we do not know where are these tracking parameters set, and who use them.)

Regards,
István

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi István,

Maczi wrote:

Dear Pankaj

Thank You for you answer, but your answer are not related to my problem.
I am a Top contributor for Adwords, I know Adwords well.

Thanks for letting me know this Smiley Happy

I could only say that in case DSAs is not targeting the right set of URLs even after setting the right conditions, then you should probably look for other alternatives and might try other AdWords features as per your requirement. As you might be knowing that DSAs are not the perfect fit of every businesses. So that might be happening in your case as well.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Hi!
We had many DSA campaigns as Shopping ads is not supported in Hungary (yet). and they works (worked?) well and they are easy to setup.
So check ad customizers (good chance to learn :-) ), and probably we will use App scripts (it is a magento webshop, we I hope we will be able to get the necessary data by scripts).

Reagards, and see You at the next TC meeting in San Jose :-)

Istvá

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maczi
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Eventuall I found a solution. In webmaster tools (fortunatelly I have access to the customer's webmaster tool account) under the
--> Crawl menu (on the left)
--> URL parameters submenu
There is a pege, where you could check and set how Google handles URL parameters.
The utm_campaign, utm_source, utm_medium was listed so I set them (clicking on "edit" in the same row where the parameter is listed) as this paramter does not change content; There is a question here "Does this parameter change page content seen by the user?" and I chose the answer: "No: Doesn't affect page content (ex: tracks usage).
Then I added utm_content, utm_term manually, and set the same handling option for them