AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Remarketing Custom Parameters issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI

I have created a custom html tag for dynamic remarketing and these are the error codes i received in Google Adwords:

!We haven't detected custom parameters for custom business types (AdWords)

The tag is active but we couldn't find any custom parameters.

Check that the remarketing tag is implemented correctly. Custom parameters are necessary to enable dynamic remarketing. Learn about the dynamic remarketing tag.

!We didn't find the custom parameter "dynx_itemid"

Your tag doesn't include the custom parameter "dynx_itemid".

Your tag doesn't include the custom parameter "dynx_pagetype".

how do i get the code to read various item ids and pagetypes?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic Remarketing Custom Parameters issues

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi There,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

As per the errors, the system is not able to find customer parameters on your website pages. Your website should include values for custom parameters on every page, and most importantly they should match with the information you have submitted with the feeds. 

Ideally, you should connect with your website developer and should ask him to implement it for you. Yes, it would a bit technical. 

The implementation for dynamic remarketing is considerably easier if you are using an content management system for your website, either paid or opensource. For most of the CMSs free plugins/extensions are available which can be used to implement dynamic re-marketing custom parameters on the website.

Please bear in mind that those plugins/extensions are third party tools, and not developed by Google. 

If you have a static HTML/CSS website, you will need to implement custom parameters manually on every page. 

More information about the custom parameter implementation can be found here   https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3103357

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan

Thank you for the response and the welcome

I followed the 'single remarketing code' guide in Google for Google Tag Manager as going through the IT department to get it on every page would take 6 weeks.

I got the response that the tag is active and firing but i just need to define the custom parameters.

Here is my code and now i need to know where and how do i define the custom parameters?
<script>
(function () {
try {
if ( window.location.pathname.search('/item_') == 0 ) {
// extracting the product id from the URL
var prodid = window.location.pathname.match(/\/item_([0-9]+)\//)[1] ;
dataLayer.push({
'event': 'fireRemarketingTag',
'google_tag_params': {
dynx_itemid: prodid,
dynx_pagetype: 'product'
//dynx_totalvalue: totalvalue
}
});
}
else {
dataLayer.push({
'event': 'fireRemarketingTag',
'google_tag_params': { }
});
}
}
catch (err) {}
})();
</script>

this is the code i placed in GTM
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author The Foschini Group
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

dynx_itemid: prodid,
dynx_pagetype: 'product'

The dynx_itemid should have the item ID which you have submitted with the feed. It would be changing on each page. 

dynx_pagetype should have type of page as the value, viz. homepage, category, product etc. 

There are two ways to do it, either by using data layers or by exacting IDs from the page using scripts. 

Your current implementation does not seem to be extracting the right Item ID. The following part of the code is set to extract product ID on each page.

if ( window.location.pathname.search('/item_') == 0 ) {
// extracting the product id from the URL
var prodid = window.location.pathname.match(/\/item_([0-9]+)\//)[1] ;

I can't check it from here if the codes are actually extracting correct IDs. You can use Developer Tool or Tag Assistant extension for Chrome browser to verify your implementation.

The detailed documentation for code implementation with GTM is here - https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/3002580?hl=en#OneTagPerFunnel

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am having the same problem. The guidance from Google says you need to generate a feed in Adwords and there has to alignment between the feed and the tracking code. Such as ID1 in the feed should be the same as dynx_itemid in the code snippet. This is not enough, you have to change the source code in each webpage as well? I get the same error message below that Adwords can't find my custom parameter dynx_itemid. I have to place this customer parameter in my webapge? Can I do this via a WP app?

Remarketing tag What's this?
Google Analytics tag last active at 6:33 PM
Adwords tag last active at 5:34 PM
We haven't detected custom parameters for custom business types (Google Analytics)
Last checked at 6:39 PM

Tag details

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This 2015 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.