AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Keyword Insertion in URLs and Landingpages

M F
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
M F
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear community.

Although the subject DKI is mentioned here several times, I couldn't find an answer to a particular Question:

I was looking for offices in Dortmund (a city in Germany) and so i typed "offices" and "dortmund" into the google search window.

The URL of one of the top four AdWords ads read like this: "http://www.xyz.de/landingpage.php?keyword2=Offices&location=in%20Dortmund&..."

The headline of the page was "Offices in Dortmund". What is more, if you altered either of the two parameters ("keyword2" and "location") and reloaded the page, the headline changed explicitly to the altered parameters. For example, if you changed the URL-Parameter "Offices" to "Rooms" and "Dortmund" to "Munich" and reloaded the Page, the headline read "Rooms in Munich".

Now, I know how this is done with one parameter, but I can't figure out how the second one is assigned. How does AdWords know, that the keyword "dortmund" is the location? Moreover I would like to point out the "in" in the headline, despite the keywords being "Offices" and "Dortmund".

I would be very grateful for any hint.

Best regards

M. Frey

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author M F
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi M Frey,

You might try ValueTrack {location}, I have no idea what it returns This is what I found:

{location} - With Google moving more and more toward location-based results and pushing to get more local advertisers onto AdWords, national advertisers are likely to see increased differentials in traffic quality by location and it would be helpful to get Google's view of user location for each click easily.

I couldn't find any official Google documentation for {location}, but I did find this page. Expand "Final URL, tracking template, or custom parameter" to find {loc_interest_ms} and {loc_physical_ms}. They are location, either interest or physical. Go to the page for the link to a list of the codes.

David K is probably right about using a custom parameter. You would set separate campaigns with different geo-targeting. In the custom parameter for location, you would enter "in Dortmund" in the tracking template for the campaign or ad group.

Now, to customize your page, you don't get that data from the referrer data, it comes from the query string of the request itself. Referrer data from Google is rarely useful. It doesn't show the search query. Instead, the query string shows the keyword that was triggered by the search query as keyword2, and the location as location. Updating the text on your landing page can be done with either a server or client side script, especially if it's only changing the headline. I'm not even going to attempt sample code to do this, but I will tell you it's not hard for an experienced programmer.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@M F

Most likely this site is using a custom parameter and programming it in advanced ad URL options.  More info on that here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6325879?hl=en

How the website landing page reacts to it has nothing to do with Adwords.  That's PHP reading the referrer, and writing html based off of it.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author M F
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi M Frey,

You might try ValueTrack {location}, I have no idea what it returns This is what I found:

{location} - With Google moving more and more toward location-based results and pushing to get more local advertisers onto AdWords, national advertisers are likely to see increased differentials in traffic quality by location and it would be helpful to get Google's view of user location for each click easily.

I couldn't find any official Google documentation for {location}, but I did find this page. Expand "Final URL, tracking template, or custom parameter" to find {loc_interest_ms} and {loc_physical_ms}. They are location, either interest or physical. Go to the page for the link to a list of the codes.

David K is probably right about using a custom parameter. You would set separate campaigns with different geo-targeting. In the custom parameter for location, you would enter "in Dortmund" in the tracking template for the campaign or ad group.

Now, to customize your page, you don't get that data from the referrer data, it comes from the query string of the request itself. Referrer data from Google is rarely useful. It doesn't show the search query. Instead, the query string shows the keyword that was triggered by the search query as keyword2, and the location as location. Updating the text on your landing page can be done with either a server or client side script, especially if it's only changing the headline. I'm not even going to attempt sample code to do this, but I will tell you it's not hard for an experienced programmer.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

M F
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
M F
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello petebardo.

Thanks a lot for the input!

Especially the {loc_interest_ms}-parameter.

I am going to try to connect the id from the parameter to the specific location / city and paste the citys name in the headline together with the keyword.

That should get me very close to my desired result.

Regards

M. Frey