AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Keyword Insertion Not Working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Basically I'm having a problem with ads not working for no apparent reason using DKI. 

The keywords are not too long as there are others in the account that are working perfectly, it just seems to consistently be in one campaign. For example I am using {KeyWordSmiley Very Happyefault} and whilst the keyword "digital marketing glasgow" works no bother at all in my ads, in another campaign "ecommerce glasgow" continually comes up as Default in the ad title. There is no problem with the code as the code in each is identical. 

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Ross

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Dynamic Keyword Insertion Not Working

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ross57,

Without a lot of detail on what's happening, about all we can do is guess at what is happening with your account and DKI. It's a bit like playing a game of Battleship.

It is a real possibliity that the search query for "eCommerce Glasgow" is triggering a different keyword than you expected and that the keyword that is triggered is too long for DKI. (Like I said, I'm just guessing at it, so hang with me for a second). When your campaign is active and you have not used up your daily budget, go to the keyword tab for your campaign. Hover of the bubble thing and see what it says. If the status say "triggered by another keyword", or something to that effect, my guess is correct.

If "eCommerce Glasgow" shows "low search volume", I would bet you dollars to donuts this is precisely what is happening. Quite often when you include a locale or city name with your keywords, you will get the low search volume warning. If the term still triggers an ad in the preview tool, it is likely another keyword is being triggered. It would be nice if the interface would tell us exactly wich keyword is triggering the ad, but it doesn't.

DKI is difficult! In your DKI ad groups, do not include any keywords that would cause any of the lines to exceed the limit (25 for title, 35 for others). Instead, place those keywords in a separate ad group that does not use DKI. That should help you figure out what's going on with it. I have only one piece of advice for advertisers using DKI--learn to expect the unexcpected. And keep Murphy's 3rd law in mind at all times--if anything can go wrong, it will.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

The best I could think of in your situation could be the character length limit of the ad title. There might be the scenario that in addition to DKI and the other text you have used, the long keyword is preventing it to be shown and instead your default ad text is getting displayed again and again. As you haven't mentioned about what default ad text you have entered, but it looks like it's happening because of the character lenght limit. 

You might be interested in reading this article for more insights.

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your response and your welcome. 

I'm afraid this isn't the problem though as the keywords are not pushing the character length over the limit. I am using other keywords with DKI and the exact same code in another campaign in the same account account that have more characters which are working perfectly.

Using {KeyWordSmiley Very Happyefault} in both ads with no further text,

"digital marketing glasgow" Works Perfectly

"ecommerce glasgow" Does Not Work

Thanks,

Ross

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ross57,

Without a lot of detail on what's happening, about all we can do is guess at what is happening with your account and DKI. It's a bit like playing a game of Battleship.

It is a real possibliity that the search query for "eCommerce Glasgow" is triggering a different keyword than you expected and that the keyword that is triggered is too long for DKI. (Like I said, I'm just guessing at it, so hang with me for a second). When your campaign is active and you have not used up your daily budget, go to the keyword tab for your campaign. Hover of the bubble thing and see what it says. If the status say "triggered by another keyword", or something to that effect, my guess is correct.

If "eCommerce Glasgow" shows "low search volume", I would bet you dollars to donuts this is precisely what is happening. Quite often when you include a locale or city name with your keywords, you will get the low search volume warning. If the term still triggers an ad in the preview tool, it is likely another keyword is being triggered. It would be nice if the interface would tell us exactly wich keyword is triggering the ad, but it doesn't.

DKI is difficult! In your DKI ad groups, do not include any keywords that would cause any of the lines to exceed the limit (25 for title, 35 for others). Instead, place those keywords in a separate ad group that does not use DKI. That should help you figure out what's going on with it. I have only one piece of advice for advertisers using DKI--learn to expect the unexcpected. And keep Murphy's 3rd law in mind at all times--if anything can go wrong, it will.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Oh, there is one other thing that will cause DKI not to work for certain keywords--if the insertion cause the line to be gramatically incorrect. In that case, you should see the keyword disapproved.

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your replies, I checked to see if the keyword was triggered by others but it's not and all our clicks had been from an exact match of the keyword for the example "ecommerce glasgow". I have no idea what's going on with this account as even the keywords and ad groups that were working fine with DKI last week are now hit and miss whether they are coming up with the title Default, or the keyord that I want it to be.

In all of our other adwords accounts the DKI is still working perfectly, it just seems to be this one account. So I've now given up and started using standard text ads in all my ads for this campaign as at least then I know Adwords can't make my ads look ridiculous on the search engines!

Thanks for your input,

Ross

M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey, did you ever figure out why the DKI was not working?
We're currently experiencing the exact same problem, and the keyword is definitely not pushing the character limit one bit. Still, the DKI does not work although there's not one adtext in the group that isn't set up for DKI. Have you gotten it to work in the end?
KR,
M

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Maaike D,

I'm afraid not, it seemed to be just a one off in that specific ad group as all of our other ad groups with DKI continued to work fine. After spending more than enough time testing it I couldn't find the solution so simply created new ad groups for the keywords without DKI.

Cheers

M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Ross,

too bad you didn't get it to work. I haven't really found any plausible solution for our issue over here either. Anyway, we appreciate your quick reply.

KR,
M.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi M D (and Ross - boy, you did respond fast to a question from 2 years back!).

I recall seeing somewhere that DKI will only work if an Ad has a sufficiently high Rank, for example, it might not trigger below position 3.  Unfortunately, I can't find any reference to this, so there's a chance I may have imagined it (though I'm pretty certain).

Can you see any correlation between average Ad Position and/or Quality Score and the Ads that do/don't work?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits