AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Insertion in Destination URL for Results Page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to upload an HTML5 ad that was created to allow visitors to input their zip code where, once they did, they would be taken to a results page showing them the products available in their immediate area.

I can't figure out what destination URL to designate in the Adwords interface since the results page could be one of 1,000s of pages. The results page, however, always reads www...../TV-FOR-2/?zip=[actual zip code typed in]

Any ideas on how to define this?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic Insertion in Destination URL for Results Page

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi there,

This isn't pretty straight forward! You could use a server side redirect to the appropriate landing page by capturing the zip code in to the URL.
Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Nick T,

The way I understand this works is the HTML5 ad creates a form that submits using a GET method. Did you name the input field for the zip code? That name, and the value input by the user should be returned in the query string of the destination URL.

Hoping this helps,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Nick,

Agree with Pete here. You have to set up the input field first to retrieve the Zip code and then use the same to return a value that is associated with the exact destination URL for the zip code.

You can use a template URL like 'www.zipcode.com/mypage' (has to be under the same domain as your website) throughout all the ads in your AdWords account. Setup your page to read the zipcode value that the user has entered in your HTML5 ad and redirect the user to the appropriate page on your website.

This is somewhat confusing but a HTML coder can help you execute this with no problems. Why don't you get in touch with a developer and set this up with their help.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"