AdWords
7K members online now
7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Destination URL

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I am going to set up a campaign(s) for a large ecommerce website, with two or three major product lines but each of them has several property categories for filtering by (let's say different colors, manufacturers, sizes etc).

I am still working toward to find the best structure for the account. It seems to make sense to have a separate campaign for each product type, with several ad groups. If I make a separate ad group for each category (one for the color, another one for manufacturer etc), I will still have a problem for setting up the perfect landing page for the very specific search terms (ie. a search for "big red yonatan apples" should direct the user to the product page on which all the fruits are already filtered out for big red yonatan apples). On the webpage there is a very good filtering option and each filtering has a different URL.

But, and here comes my question, is there any option to set one single destination URL into which the system can dynamically insert the proper filters and direct the user to the most specific landing page?

Because if I have to sort out manually all the different combinations and setup manually different URLs for every single filtering option... well, than this work will be ten times harder than I anticipated.

I will appreciate any helpful answer,

Janos

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic Destination URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
You may like to use Destination url at Keyword label. from column setting, enable destination URL column and you can set url for each product/Keywords.
Hope it helps.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Janos L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Janos,

I am not a tech savvy but I think the situation you are asking might get sort out using Adwords API the best, because using Adwords APIs, you can generate the keywords, destination URLs etc... automatically.

You can read more about it here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375503

Another option which I could think of could the dynamic search ad campaigns where you just need to create the ad copies without Title and using the Google natural search engine results and how your site is indexed and ranked, Adwords will automatically pick the best destination URLs and will show your ads on Google search. You can find more details about DSAs here and see whether your site is the best suited for this advanced campaign or not: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471185?hl=en

I also wrote one article on DSA, which you might want to read:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Dynamic-Search-Ads-What-Why-and-How-to-impleme...

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Janos.

The way I see it what you can do is the following:

• decide, for each ad group, which is the "default" destination URL, and add it to your ads (you can include brand, product category, sorting criteria anything that is relevant for your ad group)
  • use the valuetrack keyword parameter and insert it in the URL, where a typical search term would sit (check how your system does it, hopefully it passes search terms in the URL)

So, for instance, if you have a "widgets" ad group, you would send the visitors to www.example.com/products/?category=widgets

For a search term such as blue widgets, which hopefully is triggered by the keyword [blue widgets] which sits in your ad group, the url would be www.example.com/products/?category=widgets&search={keyword}.

The caveat here is that if you use phrase match or broad match, a search for "summer blue widgets" will trigger the same "blue widgets" and "summer" would be "lost in translation" (from the search result page to the website).

If you're into programming though, you could try picking up the "q" parameter sent by Google (it is present in the referral string), which is precisely the search query entered by the user, and redirect him upon landing to www.example.com/products/?category=widgets&search=q.

But that means you have to make sure that all search AdWords traffic gets redirected, from the original page, which has the sorting criteria already there, to a page which injects the search query as well.

Another aspect is that we don't know how long will Google keep inserting that parameter in the referral string, because if they'll encode that as well and only decode it in Analytics and AdWords (thus stripping the possibility for third parties to use it, just as it happened in the case of "not provided"), you won't be able to pull that trick anymore and you'll need to fall back to {keyword} and as many exact matches as possible.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well guys,

First of all, thank you for every answer, it is good to see that there is a live community involved in helping out people.

So, as you have suggested, my options are as follows:

• Inserting the parameter as a keyword dynamically in the URL (as suggested by Calin). Unfortunately, this may not work in my case, because a typical URL for a page with filtered results is something like this: http://www.example.ro/widgets.html?___SID=U&color=42&manufacturer=61&so_princ=122, where the actual keywords are represented by numbers.
  • Deciding for each ad group a "default" URL might be a solution, though, it may not be the best one because this is a very specific market with very specific and exact search terms, which, in most cases, are including different keywords related to different possible ad groups.
  • API - it looks that, at least theoretically, this could be the best possible solution, but I am not a programmer.
  • Dynamic search ads (as suggested by Pankaj), this is something I would try out, even if I am not very sure that Google can generate a separate URL for all possible combinations for all related parameters. But for sure, it is an option.
  • Setting up keyword level URLs. This is the solution I am most scared of. If I have to go through the whole website and search for the individual URLs for all possible combinations, then pairing up each keyword or keyword combination with the proper URL, well... there are pretty good chances that I will have to work on this project even at Christmas.

Anyway guys, thank you again, every answer I got from you has helped me to better understand this particular issue and the options for solving it!

Janos

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Ok, I got it. But don't you have a search form on that website? How does a search URL which is subsequently filtered look?
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Calin,

Now I think I am getting your point.
If there is a search form on the website, then the search-based filtering should result in an URL which contains the keyword. You are right, I was focused only on the filtering option and didn't think about the search box.
The search URL looks like
http://www.example.ro/catalogsearch/result/?q=samsung and so it contains the keyword indeed.

But the search form doesn't returning any results when searched for anything else than the manufacturer itself. Maybe I should ask the company to see whether they can improve the search on their site.

Thanks again
Janos
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Janos L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Yep, that's exactly the point. And http://www.example.ro/catalogsearch/result/?q=samsung could become something like http://www.example.ro/catalogsearch/result/?q=samsung&cat=xx&man=yy and so on when adding filters.

And it is the q that you should replace with either the q from the referral or the keyword.

Not so straightforward, but doable, I hope.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Simply reading this to understand the ramifications requires a lot of concentration. Calin must be a mentalist Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Adrian B wrote:

Simply reading this to understand the ramifications requires a lot of concentration. Calin must be a mentalist Smiley Happy

Knowing what the latest "mentalist" on a Romanian TV show did (cheap tricks), I'll take that as an insult Smiley Happy.