AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicating an ad

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'd like to create a new ad that is basically an ad I already have with a few small changes.  So I'd like to duplicate the existing ad and then make my changes.  But when I check the box to the left of my ad, select More actions | Copy and select the existing campaign and ad group in the dialog that comes up and then select Copy to ad group  to it gives me the error:

Please select a different ad group from the original.

Why won't it let me do  this.  It seems like a common operation.

I notice in AdWords Editor you seem to be able to just Ctrl-C the ad line and Ctrl-V to make a duplicate.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Kim_Clink (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Duplicating an ad

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

Adwords Editor is easy and fast to make bulk changes. Add Multiple Text Ads in Adwords Editor. 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Unfortunately, this is just how the AdWords UI works. The desktop editor is still the quickest way to copy and paste elements in AdWords.

However, if you just click New Ad, it should start you off with a copy of one of your current ads. Then you can make your minor changes to the New ad. It should be just as fast and easy as copy and paste.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks.  Is there a way to determine, when you hit + New Ad, which of your current ads it will clone?  It seems to always pick the top ad, and there doesn't seem to be a way change the order of the existing ads.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
No, I don't think there is a way to change that. So that's when the desktop editor may be easier if you are making multiple updates.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn the desktop editor.

Thanks for your help!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Kim_Clink (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

Adwords Editor is easy and fast to make bulk changes. Add Multiple Text Ads in Adwords Editor. 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’