AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate text ad error when importing into Adwords Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to import a new campaign into AdWords Editor, and some of the adgroups have two ads in them that are the same except for the landing page so that I can A/B test the landing pages. AdWords Editor doesn't import the second ad per adgroup with an error description of "Duplicate text ad."

If I go ahead and import the data anyway and leave those "duplicate" ads behind while importing the rest into AdWord Editor, I can later manually add them back into AdWords Editor and post them to my account without a problem. This is annoying though. 

Anybody know what's going on? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Duplicate text ad error when importing into Adwords Editor

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

A change was made in Editor 9.8.1 whereby, during CSV import (or Add Multiple), display and destination URLs are no longer considered "key" fields (that is, fields used to match rows from CSV text against actual ads present in the account). Text ads are only matched on headline, description 1 and description 2 now.

This change allows one to edit display and destination URLs on existing ads - a very popular request. Previously, it required jumping through some hoops.

Unfortunately, this change does make it impossible to import two ads that differ only in display and destination URLs, since they are now considered duplicates. If your use case is common, we may have to reconsider our design.

One possible workaround: add some distinctive character sequence (say, --xxx--) to healines of all the "B" ads (in the A/B split); should be possible with an Excel formula. Import the resulting CSV text - there should be no duplicates this time. Now, select all ads and use Replace Text tool (on the Edit menu, or via the link at the bottom of the tab) to replace that special character sequence with an empty text (in effect, remove it).

Could you perhaps set up two separate ad groups for your A/B test? That would eliminate the duplicates problem (only ads going into the same ad group are ever considered duplicate).

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 11
Google Employee

Editor 9.9 has just been released. It provides an option for dealing with this issue.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

mhh.. honestly I  usually export changes like this from editor to online account.  But just for you I made two the same ad copy with different LP and I didnt have any problem with exporting that to Editor

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I am agree that the error is coming in adwords editor. I also tried to import duplicate ads with different landing pages and found the same error.

Anyone else getting the same error?

Thanks

Brijesh

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

hey,

I tried myself to check out your issue and found the same issue just like you. there is a same message showing in my adword editor when I upload same ad copy with different Landing. I will be glad if anyone can help us to come out from this issue.

Thanks
Anchal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This same error happens to me when I change the DisplayUrl. This started happening when I updated AdWords Editor to 9.8.1 version. We hanve another PC with 9.7.1 and this bug does not happen on this version.

Re: Duplicate text ad error when importing into Adwords Editor 9.8.1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah. I'm on 9.8.1 as well. I don't remember this being an issue on older versions. 

Re: Duplicate text ad error when importing into Adwords Editor 9.8.1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
A workaround I adopted here is to post a paused campaign through a older version (9.7.1) and then adjusting some details on a newer version. The but only affects the upload step.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

A change was made in Editor 9.8.1 whereby, during CSV import (or Add Multiple), display and destination URLs are no longer considered "key" fields (that is, fields used to match rows from CSV text against actual ads present in the account). Text ads are only matched on headline, description 1 and description 2 now.

This change allows one to edit display and destination URLs on existing ads - a very popular request. Previously, it required jumping through some hoops.

Unfortunately, this change does make it impossible to import two ads that differ only in display and destination URLs, since they are now considered duplicates. If your use case is common, we may have to reconsider our design.

One possible workaround: add some distinctive character sequence (say, --xxx--) to healines of all the "B" ads (in the A/B split); should be possible with an Excel formula. Import the resulting CSV text - there should be no duplicates this time. Now, select all ads and use Replace Text tool (on the Edit menu, or via the link at the bottom of the tab) to replace that special character sequence with an empty text (in effect, remove it).

Could you perhaps set up two separate ad groups for your A/B test? That would eliminate the duplicates problem (only ads going into the same ad group are ever considered duplicate).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a major issue by not being able to A/B test landing pages multiple ad groups.  Any idea if this will be fixed?

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

We do expect to provide an option to revert to the "old" behavior, in the next Editor release.