AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have lots of campaigns and each has lots of keywords. Some of those keywords overlap (i.e. duplicates across campaigns) this is not my intention and would prefer to target unique keywords for each campaign but its tough staying on top of 1000s of keywords. How do duplicate keywords across campaigns affect my advertising?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bruce R
September 2015

Re: Duplicate keywords

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Thanks for your question. I suggest you try using the Adwords Editor to handle tasks like duplicating keywords across your campaigns. In fact, this is one of the key features of AE: "Search and replace text across ad groups or campaigns." Plus you can do all this offline then upload the changes when your ready.

AdWords Editor is a free, downloadable Google application for managing large AdWords accounts efficiently. Download your campaigns, make changes with powerful editing tools, then upload the changes to AdWords. You can download it from this link .

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Bruce,

If all your landing pages are on the same domain, then duplicate keywords compete each other. In some cases this raises the avg. CPC.
I suggest to get rid of duplicate keywords. Adwords editor that John Paul suggested is very handy for tasks like that.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Yiannis,

Thanks for your excellent suggestion. I agree, I would also consider removing the duplicate keywords.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Bruce R , I would like to assist here too with some ideas :

"How do duplicate keywords across campaigns affect my advertising?"

1) Usually Campaigns are created for different location targeting and different budgets.Otherwise you can group keywords in Ad Groups.

So If your campaigns have different location targeting which do not overlap, duplicate keywords do not compete. If the locations are included one in another this exception occurs :

"  If you have multiple campaigns with keywords that similarly match the search term, the system will prefer to use the keyword from a campaign that uses more specific location targeting.

Example

Let's say someone within New York City searches for the term plumber. Now, let's say the keyword plumber is included in both your campaign targeting the New York City metropolitan area and your campaign targeting the entire United States. The system will prefer to use the keyword from the campaign targeting the New York City metropolitan area because that campaign uses more specific location targeting."

2) There are more subtle situations when one keywords can prevent triggering another ( which is a duplication). It is described here : link

"For example, the broad match keywords red car and car red are duplicates and will compete against each other. Since the better performing keyword will trigger your ad more often, you'll want to delete the duplicate that performs worse."

This can also happen with Broad Match Modified keywords.

3) Inner Competition can occur also with non-duplicate keywords in the same account.

The various such combinations of competing keywords are described here ( a long 30 min. read time ) : link

Good luck !

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adrian, this is all very helpful advice!