AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate ads in each ad group at once

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In AdWords editor, is there a quick way to duplicate an existing set of ads across all the ad groups at once. I see an option of only doing this ad group by ad group.

I want to duplicate my ads across around 100 ad groups and then just make minor tweaks to one description line and post there. Is there a way to do this duplication at the click of a button at the account level or do I need to go ad group by ad group?

Thanks,

Chetan

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chetan J
December 2015

Re: Duplicate ads in each ad group at once

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Chetan,

For that, I'd recommend other method then.

You should copy those 3 ads to Excel, where you'll notice that they will have columns like Campaign, Ad Group, Labels, Headline, etc.... As you'll notice, each line will have the name of Campain and Group where the ad is in, so now you can duplicate that line and just change the name of the Campaign/Group for the where they'll go. You'll have multiple lines for the Ad Copy 1, where in each line you'll have different campangs/groups. That's the ad destination inside your account.

Now you can go on "Make multiple changes" again, copy from excel the entire list and paste it there, but instead of selecting "Use selected destinations", you'll use "My data includes columns for campaigns and/or ad groups". Make sure the columns are correct.

When you copy from Editor to Excel, there'll probably be some columns that you won't need like: Final mobile URL, Tracking template, Custom parameters, Device Preference, Campaign Status, Ad Group Status, Status, Approval Status, Comment. Just remove them and you'll be fine. You don't need those to upload again to editor.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Chetan, how are things?

Yes, there's a way to do what you want. Follow this steps:

1. At the left menu, go to "Ad and Extensions" and then "Text Ads"
  2. Select and copy the desired Ad
  3. At the top, select "Make Multiple changes", a new window will open
  4. Paste your ad with "CTRL+V" or "CMD+V" right away, the ad will appear on the right frame, and make sure each column is correct (Title, description, etc)
  5. On the left with some radio buttons, select "Use selected destinations"
  6. And now select all campaigns/groups where you want to paste the ad
  7. Hit Process, check and apply if correct

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for the help @leandrofm. I have a follow up question - The ads are different in each ad group (in terms of headline and landing page) that I want to duplicate. Will the above process work in this case too? I've explained my requirement below:

Ad group 1 - ad copy 1
Ad group 2 - ad copy 2
Ad group 3 - Ad copy 3

Now I want to do this duplication all at once without having to go ad group by ad group:

Ad group 1 - create a duplicate of ad copy 1
Ad group 2 - create a duplicate of ad copy 2
Ad group 3 - create a duplicate of Ad copy 3
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chetan J
December 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Chetan,

For that, I'd recommend other method then.

You should copy those 3 ads to Excel, where you'll notice that they will have columns like Campaign, Ad Group, Labels, Headline, etc.... As you'll notice, each line will have the name of Campain and Group where the ad is in, so now you can duplicate that line and just change the name of the Campaign/Group for the where they'll go. You'll have multiple lines for the Ad Copy 1, where in each line you'll have different campangs/groups. That's the ad destination inside your account.

Now you can go on "Make multiple changes" again, copy from excel the entire list and paste it there, but instead of selecting "Use selected destinations", you'll use "My data includes columns for campaigns and/or ad groups". Make sure the columns are correct.

When you copy from Editor to Excel, there'll probably be some columns that you won't need like: Final mobile URL, Tracking template, Custom parameters, Device Preference, Campaign Status, Ad Group Status, Status, Approval Status, Comment. Just remove them and you'll be fine. You don't need those to upload again to editor.

Hope this helps.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome. Thanks a lot. I'll use this method Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great answer. Helped me a lot. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was trying to figure this out last week. The method I used was within the Adwords UI itself.

First, go to the account you are working with and filter to all campaigns.

Next, search for the specific ad you want to modify within the Ad level within AdWords.

Once you narrow it down to a list of all the similar ads within every ad group you'll want to bulk checkbox them.

After that click Edit>Change Ads.

Once you open the menu, you'll want to check the "duplicate ads" box then make the desired modifications.

This will allow you to bulk change the ads without deleting the original ads they will be based on, allowing you to keep all the data.

You can also use a "find and replace" feature which can help save editing time by changing the specific text.

This bulk method was necessary for me because I needed to change ad copy for over 300 ad groups that all had unique tracking URLs.

Hope this helps!

Mitchell G

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Good call Mitchell. Some things are quicker in the AdWords web interface than AE I guess! I was thinking export to CSV was the best option here but your option is super fast. Lesson learned.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I hope this helps you save plenty of time! Thanks for the Kudos! Smiley Happy