AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate Automated Rules

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does anyone know if there is a way to duplicate an automated rule and assign it to select campaigns? I have two keyword rules setup for one campaign but need to apply those same 2 rules to quite a few other campaigns. I don't need it applied to the whole account just some select campaigns.

The only way I can see to do it, is go campaign by campaign and set each rule up individually. I was hoping there was a way to duplicate the rules and then select which campaigns they are assigned to run in.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan M
September 2015

Re: Duplicate Automated Rules

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the Community!

I couldn't find a way to duplicate a rule. Have you tried labeling those campaigns and edit the existing rule, so it applies to all campaigns with the label?

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan M
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the Community!

I couldn't find a way to duplicate a rule. Have you tried labeling those campaigns and edit the existing rule, so it applies to all campaigns with the label?

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ryan, Sumanth's answer is the one I'd go for.  Whenever you want a rule or a script to operate on a number of AdWords elements (Campaigns, Groups, Ads, Keywords, etc.) especially if the elements to be affected may change over time, Labels are the best solution.

Once you have defined your rule or script to act only upon elements containing a certain label, you don't have to edit that rule or script to change which elements are affected, you just have to add or remove the Label.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

Thank you for your suggestion. I haven't tried this but will do it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

Thank you for expounding on this. I haven't tried using labels in combination with rules before.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth. Your solution is indeed a good one, and I am surprised that, overall, labels are not used as much as they ought to be, automated rules or not.

There is however a need that I have, and that I could not find a way around for: imagine that I have a rule for campaign 1 that states that a keyword cpc should be lowered by xx% if this or that. And then, rather than create a similar rule for campaign 2, I would like to duplicate the rule for campaign 1, change the name of the campaign (or the label it applies to) as well as the percentage the keyword bid is adjusted for.

Perhaps with a Google Adwords API or greasemonkey? Ideally, if it was just possible to import a spreadsheet with columns that contain all the information, this would save millions of hours for us Google Adwords worlwide. :-)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel Fontaine