AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Don't understand.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have been running this ad with this keyword phase for about a week. The quality score was 5/10 but my "ad relevance" was average and my "Landing page experience" was average.

Well nothing with the Ad or my landing page has changed, so how can these 2 rating change????? They are now both "Below Average"

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Don't understand.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To make things more clear I would recommend reading the following :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/keywords-having-quality-score-10-not-have-an...

Basically all keywords have an initial "default" QS until they accumulate 1000 impressions, then the evaluation changes based mainly on the CTR and the QS can change up or down.

You can use this script to track QS over time.

http://www.ppc-epiphany.com/2013/01/26/adwords-quality-score-tracker-version-2-0-now-with-labels/

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi David,

Yes, that can happen, specially for new keywords+ads. Normally AdWords initial crawls are a bit forgiving and they tend to give 5 to 6 QS. But after a while, whit more data and after more crawls they might raise or lower the QS.

I recommend I review your ad copy for those keywords to try to make it more relevant and analyse your landing page the same way.

Another important thing is to be careful with broad match type keywords, in some businesses they can turn your good ad and landing page to a completely irrelevant mix for some searches.

Diogo

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To make things more clear I would recommend reading the following :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/keywords-having-quality-score-10-not-have-an...

Basically all keywords have an initial "default" QS until they accumulate 1000 impressions, then the evaluation changes based mainly on the CTR and the QS can change up or down.

You can use this script to track QS over time.

http://www.ppc-epiphany.com/2013/01/26/adwords-quality-score-tracker-version-2-0-now-with-labels/

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Adrian is correct;
Initially you are assigned a QS based on other advertisers QS for the same keyword.
Also keep in mind that QS is calculated for every auction and its core component is CTR. So, if a keyword triggers  impressions that are not clicked (e.g. broad match) CTR "goes down" and QS respectively

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

MosheTLV wrote:

Adrian is correct;
Initially you are assigned a QS based on other advertisers QS for the same keyword.
Also keep in mind that QS is calculated for every auction and its core component is CTR. So, if a keyword triggers  impressions that are not clicked (e.g. broad match) CTR "goes down" and QS respectively

Iniitial QS is purely calculated as any other QS along the way, the only difference is that AdWords is forgiving at an initial stage, while it waits for more data. But it takes in considerating Expected CTR and not CTR as you mention, Ad relevance and landing page experience.

It's mentioned 1000 impressions for this to happen! I've never experienced this and thankfully I run granular campaings with updated QS and no more than 1000 impr.

CTR is no core component for QS calculation like you mention. You just need to analyse your AdWords accounts and the stats prove this. It's even possible to QS 10 with low CTR and 5 QS with high CTR (this becomes even more obvious after the last update).

QS is calculated in every auction, but it's not reflected into the account that way, so It's pointless to mention it in bold.

I was told more than once by industry colleages that this AdWords community felt many times detached from reality, but I decided to give it a try and see for myself. I'm finding it the hard way.

Diogo

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello Diogo;

Thanks for bringing up this point ;

On this community we are trying  to correct many misconceptions and myths about QS, "widely spread" in the industry. Since the setting of this Community, Google has also contributed  to clarify a few myths.

As part of that, the  following  article was published, saying clearly, in print, a few facts that up till then, had been known not to many:

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

...when we add fresh keywords, initially, they’re awarded a historical Quality Score based on their previous performance on Google.com. And only once the keyword starts accruing statistics, the system then evaluates its Quality Score based on its recent performance. 

"... let's get to the crux of the discussion, a very important ingredient to the Quality Score sauce - your keyword's click through rate (CTR)..."

The number of 1000 was given to us as part of our ongoing  dialogue with Google;

As for low QS and high CTR: - a quick search on the community will bring up many discussions on the topic. (We have discussed it  in  many threads)

Now, as for  your last comment: ("...this  AdWords community felt many times detached from reality..."):

we are not detached from Adwords;  On the contrary; IMHO; (as modest as I could be), we bring exceptional knowledge and experience in Adwords, you will not likely to find anywhere else. We are constantly consulted by advertisers about Adwords issues. On this community, we will NOT  say / State facts / views we are not sure of, or incorrect. And if we were found to be wrong, we would correct it.

At the back of this operation  Google's global advertising operations would stand to help with an unresolved issue.   Here you can find a peer to peer community with the right and the correct answers about Adwords issues.

So I'd strongly recommend you to follow. If you are into Adwords - this is the ultimate source for you as an Adwords advertiser.

Here is what Google says about its top contributors;

See you in other discussions

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I liked this problem "It's even possible to QS 10 with low CTR and 5 QS with high CTR"

The answer that I found to it is that the QS is normalised by ad position :

http://adwordsagency.blogspot.ro/2008/11/quality-score-fact-of-day.html

http://searchengineland.com/quality-score-explained-by-a-former-googler-166007

"Optimizing The Right Elements Of Your Account

If you haven’t guessed by now, optimizing Quality Score is really all about optimizing for CTR. The challenge is to optimize for the right CTR. For example, because Google uses position normalization when determining how your CTR impacts your QS, it could very well be that your ad with a 15% CTR in the top position on Google is actually worse than your 3% CTR ad in the last place on the right side of the page."

More data to back this up here :

http://searchengineland.com/what-the-heck-is-adwords-quality-score-169320

I hope David C finds useful what we wrote and I will avoid writing again in this thread.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I respect your knowledge in terms of AdWords MosheTLV. Of course no one gets to be a top contributor without it and also without learning even more in the process. I just say it's easy to feel disconnected from real day-to-day PPC when reading many of these posts.

I'm not an AdWords Doctorate, I am a user. When a question is more focused on a business practical side, that's when I see the forum - sometimes - not being so valuable. I think it's a perfectly natural thing to happen. The forum doesn't have to be perfect. By coming to posts just to "diminish" other's by adding theory and more theory, I think it can sometimes be counterproductive and  not that helpful.

Adrian B, about this:
I liked this problem "It's even possible to QS 10 with low CTR and 5 QS with high CTR"

Your article is totally correct, confirms what I'm saying and as I mentioned before QS is based on Expected CTR, that's one of the reasons why this happen.

Here's an example from one of my clients:

Untitled.png

And I'm not trying to prove CTR doesn't count, of course it does, but that doesn't mean a low CTR can't have a high QS, even when ads get to top 3.

And just to explain why I disagree with the theory of 1000 impressions to update QS :

Untitled.png

This is a 4 days old account and don't need to say they didn't kick off with QS10.

Diogo