AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Don't repeat rule e.g. keep increasing (or decreasing) bidding forever!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

If I set up an automated rule e.g. "look at last 30 days and increase bids by 10% if ROI is positive" and run it every day how do I stop it repeating? What I want is to NOT run the rule if that rule has made a change within x days. Because if I keep running the rule then I will increase by 10% every day which is not what I want (even if I set a max CPC).

Is there a variable to include the actions of the rule itself (or any other changes)? Or any other options to prevent repeating rules?

Many thanks

Re: Don't repeat rule e.g. keep increasing (or decreasing) bidding forever!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Setting up automated rules in AdWords is pretty limited in flexibility. You could set up a script if you want a smarter rule.

You are telling AdWords to look back at the 30 day average every day and bid up 10%. But you only want to to bid up 10% once a month. One day won't change a month's average unless it was an extraordinary outlier, in that case, you have a seperate problem. Why not set the script to run monthly, and look back at a months data? Or every weekly, and look back at a weeks data. Set an opposite rule that decreases bits 10%, or however much, when ROI is negative.

Make sure to have the rule email you every time it makes a change for the first few times it runs, so you can be sure it is working properly. Also, set a max bid to a bid that you see no reason for any Keyword to reach.