AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Does the same keyword with different match type share Quality Score?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I once heard that when you have the same keyword with different match type, those keywords share the same Quality Score.

Question 1: Is this true? If I have both [rent a car] and "rent a car" will they share the same QS no matter what?

Question 2:  If it's true, is this valid for absolutely all match types, or just Phrase and Exact ones? What would happen if I had the keyword 'rent a car' on broad or even with broad modifier?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

No: Since the performance of each keyword could be different (especially CTR) - then QS is calculated separately.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Roberto M,

This is true only of the QS you see in the UI, that's because they no other queries available. The QS is calculated each and every time it is shown or used.

Let's look at "Rent a car", in all three match types. If "Rent a car" is the search query, all match types will have the same QS. AdWords will normally select the most restrictive match type to enter the auction. When Google says that, they really expect bids for broad or BMM to be the lowest, phrase higher, and exact the highest bids.

Broad match and BMM are good for identifying keywords and negative keywords that can help your account performance. With broad match, you get a lot of unrelated queries because it is very broad. Because of that, your broad match keywords usually have the lowest bid. Phrase match and exact match will tend to have higher CTR and conversion rates and, thus, will usually have higher bids as the traffic is worth more.

Now lets take "rent a new car". Only the broad or BMM match will be eligible.

"rent a car for weekend": both broad and phrase are eligible, the phrase match will enter the general auction.

Use all three match types, run search terms reports often, add positive and negative keywords as is appropriate.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

HI @roberto m

I worked on a similar campaign recently, and I found that "rent a keyword" often was followed with a location. 'rent a car dallas' for example. If you have quite a broad spectrum of locations offered for this service where the cars can be rented, i would recommend looking at building the account architecture with locations possibly at ad group level and specific landing pages for those locations. I have found in this instance, i get excellent control with exact and excellent QS through the normal best practice associations. There are lots of interesting approaches to this. Location extensions would also be a nice touch if linked via Google my business. 

Hope thats of a little help anyway 

Have a great day

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you guys for all the replies.

So from what I could understand from @petebardo is that they will share the same QS assuming the search query is exactly the same as my keyword, because if the search query is slightly different and trigger other variations, they will not be the same as mentioned by @MosheTLV, is that correct?

@James Edw Goode this helps a lot. Thanks for the help