AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
6K members online now
6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Does running too many ads under one ad group diminish the ad groups overall impressions ??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does running too many ads under one ad group diminish the ad groups overall impressions ??

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

It's not going to have a direct impact on the impressions but it's going to take you a much longer time to get the data you would need to be able to optimize your ad copy.

I really try and keep the ad copy to 5 or under per AdGroup.

Don't forget about your ad rotation settings as these could also be a factor in available impressions if you are close to hitting your daily budget. Rotate evenly would have a lower average CTR & higher overall impressions than ads set to optimize for CTR.

Re: Does running too many ads under one ad group diminish the ad groups overall impressions ??

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi shuvanandy,

I would like to add on to what Adam already stated above.

It you have too many ad copies it will take you longer time to get the data you need to optimize your ads.

And if a lot of your ads are lower performing (low CTR) then that is going to impact your quality score.

And that will increase your average CPC, firstpage bid and ultimately lower the number of impressions you get.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Purefuzz for the reply but i forgot to mention that i'm running the ads in display network and i'm bidding it with CPA. Can that be a concern?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Not a problem shuvanandy,

Personally I am really liking the CPA bidding on the display network, I've had a lot of success with it recently.

As long as you're not trying to test to many variations of the same ad it's not going to be an issue. It's a bit different on the display network due to the higher number of ad formats available. How many variations of each ad format do you have? 

It's best to have as many ad sizes (formats) as possible for the display network as some publishers only server certain ad blocks, some only show text ads, some only image ads and some only certain ad block sizes. As long as you have one ad that meets their criteria (and yours), it can go into the ad auction and your ad could be shown. If you don't have that ad format available, you have 0% chance of showing on that site.