AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Does "exporting" the standard text ads into expanded text ads delete history?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Now that the Extended Ad Texts rolled out... If I follow the instructions here: https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/7023600 

It says "You can use AdWords Editor to export your text ads into expanded text ads" 
does this mean there's a possibility to maintain ad history?

Sorry english is not my first language and the "into" is a bit confusing because I don't understand if they will be taken as New (lose history) 

or not. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Re: Does "exporting" the standard text ads into expanded text ads delete history?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
All this tool does is create a CSV file, formatted the correct way for ETA but with data coming from selected text ads. If and when you later import this CSV file, new ETA will be created. These new ads are not connected in any way to the original text ads. Like any new ads, they'll start serving with zero history. Original text ads will also continue to serve (unless of course you delete or pause them).

The end result is no different than if you manually added ETA one by one. The tool just makes it faster and more convenient, there's no black magic in it.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Re: Does "exporting" the standard text ads into expanded text ads delete history?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
All this tool does is create a CSV file, formatted the correct way for ETA but with data coming from selected text ads. If and when you later import this CSV file, new ETA will be created. These new ads are not connected in any way to the original text ads. Like any new ads, they'll start serving with zero history. Original text ads will also continue to serve (unless of course you delete or pause them).

The end result is no different than if you manually added ETA one by one. The tool just makes it faster and more convenient, there's no black magic in it.