AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Does multiple companies mean multiple accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Howdy,

I am working with two sister companies. Both sell the same products just focusing on different geographic regions. I have an adwords account for company A. Company B would like to start advertising using AdWords. Do I need two separate AdWords accounts? They each want to pay with their own credit cards.

Thanks in advance.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does multiple companies mean multiple accounts

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Bart R 

If you want to keep accounting separate, yes, you need 2 AdWords accounts, since there is only one billing profile linked to an account.

Here is the info page about billing

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6390?hl=en&ref_topic=16351

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

It is  great that you ask before you start Advertising; (A star for that)

No. You do not need 2 accounts.  You can target different Geo regions using the same account;

Moreover; If you set 2 accounts, you will be in violation of  the double serving section of the Policy. (i.e Targeting same products of the same "brand", using multiple accounts)

Read more:

Double serving - What's the policy?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I must admit I am a little confused. Can he get invoices for 2 accounting departments for the 2 companies from the same account ? He said he needs to pay with 2 separate credit cards.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Adrain;

Read he Policy; It's all there.

If he needs 2 invoices  -  1 depratmant can internally charge the other department, based on in-house accounting. This is a common  in big companies.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes but from the description of the problem they will also be targeting different areas. This means their ads will not be on the same search pages .

I understand double serving like an unfair trick to occupy more advertising slots from the 10 available on the page, in order to generate unfair competition.

The policy says :

" This policy, known as "double serving," prevents multiple ads from the same or commonly-owned company from appearing on the same search results page."

Even if their campaigns and ads have "location targeting" setup and target different areas will this count too as double serving if they do it from 2 adwords accounts ? Maybe the companies are in different countries all together with different VAT rules.

I am sorry if I formulated a stupid question, but this is my interpretation of the double serving policy.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Adrian B;

No room for interpretation here;

The policy is clear;

Advertisers should avoid running ads from different accounts on the same or similar keywords that point to the same or similar websites. Violations of this policy occur when multiple websites share Common Ownership (defined below), plus when two or more of the following factors are present:

In this case the OP clearly have the same ownership and sells the same products.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I see, in this case I hope Bart R sees your advice and ignores my rookie response. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Bart R,

I'm not interpreting this the same was as Moshe. Two sister companies with separate billing information maintaining separate accounts is not the same thing as one company opening 2 accounts for the same business entity. These are "sister" companies, and not necessarily the same business entity.

What we don't know from your post is whether the 2 companies have separate web sites. We do know they are targeting different geographical areas. I don't see this as a double serving policy violation. If the 2 companies have separate web sites, I really don't see how this is a problem. If both are advertising for the same web site, that could be a problem.

But Moshe brings up a good point. Either of us could be right or wrong. In this case, it might be wise on your part to contact support and ask the question directly before proceeding.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Well...In this case, I argue differently than Pete (Rare to happen... :smileyhappy), since the revised "double serving" (from last month) defines what is a "business entity";

>>"Common ownership occurs when the same entity, whether an individual or a business, owns or controls one or more of the sites in question at the time of multiple ad serving"

I think that from the OP's question, it is quite understood, that both companies report to the same corporate HQ/ entity; they both have Common product offering (as defined in the revised double serving), and similar pricing - hence, in violation of the double serving.

-Moshe