AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Does content from recent emails in gmail inbox trigger my gmail ad

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me explain my question here in detail.

- If the display keyword is found in gmail user account, but it was 5 years ago, will my gmail ad show up?

- In short, where does google scan the display keyword to be present? Does it scan spam section? Does it scan the whole account? Or Does it only Scan promotion tab?

- Does it scan for emails - Sent or Received?

- In short, Does it scan the keyword for recent emails (Last 7 days) or # of emails (eg: 300 Emails) or scan the whole account?

Bonus Question : How can we related Display Keywords & Topic in context to Gmail Ads compared to general Display Ads?

I am yet to strategize my gmail ads. Your input will help me a lot Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Does content from recent emails in gmail inbox trigger my gmail ad

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jitendra K;

Google does not reveal the algorithm for contextual targeting. However, this is not a simple formula as portrayed  from your question. This is in depth multi variable  statistical  algorithm. How timeline is factored- in - Google does not disclose.

I assume that that in its basic principles - the same algorithm applies for both the GDN and Gmail.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jitendra K;

Google does not reveal the algorithm for contextual targeting. However, this is not a simple formula as portrayed  from your question. This is in depth multi variable  statistical  algorithm. How timeline is factored- in - Google does not disclose.

I assume that that in its basic principles - the same algorithm applies for both the GDN and Gmail.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

To echo Moshe here, you won't get the deep insights of how this particular algorithm works. I am sure that would be pretty much confidential. However, as far as the official documentation is concerned, it only says that 

Contextual.png

Also basically keyword contextual matching is of 2 types:-

Keyword contextual match: the placement where your ad appears is contextually relevant to your keywords inside the account.
Extended keyword match: the placement where your ad appears is relevant to the keywords and other factors, including pages a person seeing your ad has recently browsed.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi @Jitendra K,

The best to find out the performance is running your campaign from few keyworda and expand the pool bit by bit. And keep eyes on it to see which get clicks and which get conversions or not. My case is not very practical with gmail ads seems most of them don't get clicks. But it also could be the issue of your message and picture in the content, or the email title.

Keep testing Smiley Happy

Jason