AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Does anyone know if some searches don't show product listing ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Now that Product listing ads are up and running, we've been looking at experimenting, seeing what does and doesn't work.

Some searches however never seem to show product listing ads (PLA). Does anyone know if there are some searches that just don't work with PLA? 

On a related topic, do they compete for space with text ads? If a PLA and a text ad are both relevant, do they have to compete? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Does anyone know if some searches don't show product listing ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi chedgefappc,

chedgefappc wrote:

Some searches however never seem to show product listing ads (PLA). Does anyone know if there are some searches that just don't work with PLA? 

On a related topic, do they compete for space with text ads? If a PLA and a text ad are both relevant, do they have to compete? 

For first part, I would say that PLAs are driven by the Googler Merchant Center feed which you have uploaded and not by the keywords in your Adwords account. However having said, you do have the option to look for the search terms for which your PLAs were shown. Based on those search terms you might consider adding the negative keywords for your PLA campaign at ad group/campaign level so that your PLA ad doesn't show up for any irrelevant query. 

For second part, my thoughts are that  regular Adwords ads appear separately compared to the PLAs, so they shouldn't compete. There is no Average Position calculated by Adwords when you look at yout PLA ads. It's all 0.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456108?hl=en&ref_topic=1713971

Hope that helps somewhere!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi chedgefappc,

chedgefappc wrote:

For first part, I would say that PLAs are driven by the Googler Merchant Center feed which you have uploaded and not by the keywords in your Adwords account. However having said, you do have the option to look for the search terms for which your PLAs were shown. Based on those search terms you might consider adding the negative keywords for your PLA campaign at ad group/campaign level so that your PLA ad doesn't show up for any irrelevant query. 

For second part, my thoughts are that  regular Adwords ads appear separately compared to the PLAs, so they shouldn't compete. There is no Average Position calculated by Adwords when you look at yout PLA ads. It's all 0.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456108?hl=en&ref_topic=1713971

Hope that helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

You have to keep in mind that your products do not appear on searches at all times. This applies to all advertisers. Google decides when to show your products. There simply isn't a rule available.

As pankaj said, your text ads and products ads does not compete with each other. They can appear together.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

Those were my thoughts, I was just seeing if anyone else had any insights. Some of the search terms I get i would doubt that products should show, but they do, who would've thought.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
yes, its mysterious. But its better to keep an eye on search terms at least weekly!