AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Does YouTube Remarketing tag work when video spreads off-page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, so here's Google's official language on the remarketing tag as it applies to YouTube....

"With AdWords for video and YouTube, you can remarket based on actions specific to your YouTube videos, including when viewers like, dislike, comment on, and share your video." - Google

So from that, I conclude that the remarketing tag for my video works when someone is on my YouTube page/Channel.

Here's the million dollar question:

Can I also conclude the remarketing tag would work in instances where my video is posted into social networks and other websites (as it is spread socially)... am I correct in this assumption? Seems too good to be true.

In other words, if a viewer embeds my Youtube Video on his blog or on Facebook, could people interacting with my video in those spaces then pick up the remarketing code (unless some opt-out type privacy control action has been deployed by the user or the site).

Can someone let me know please? Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Does YouTube Remarketing tag work when video spreads off-page?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Kevin,

Thanks for posting the question. It is really a good question.

I assume that if the video is shared on other social network sites and if someone interacts with the video on those social network sites then the remarketing list will capture the user. This will happen because the video has the same source url (YouTube url) and it also counts the views even if the video is embedded on blogs or social sites.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1714329?hl=en

Thanks,
Rahul

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Kevin,

Thanks for posting the question. It is really a good question.

I assume that if the video is shared on other social network sites and if someone interacts with the video on those social network sites then the remarketing list will capture the user. This will happen because the video has the same source url (YouTube url) and it also counts the views even if the video is embedded on blogs or social sites.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1714329?hl=en

Thanks,
Rahul

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Rahul,

Thanks for the answer, was pretty sure it would populate the list but that was just an assumption on my part at best. Really nice to know that others think the same. Although a definitive answer would be nice, I looked around a lot but was not able to find one myself. Your link does indicate that is the case, wish there was a source out there that openly stated it though.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello kevin,

I agree with Rahul, Remarketing works on cookies, when someone interacts with your videos, AdWords store the cookies and build the remarketing list. Whether the users interact with video from social sites and blog, they actually interact with Youtube video and adwords add those users in remarketing list.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I think there could be some problems when the video is embeded using flash

https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/2915702?hl=en

And also how is the cookie set when the embeded movie does not play in a browser , such as the mobile facebook android app?

Remarketing is targeted at a browser which holds the cookies not at the operating system or user.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Rahul.

Yes, the official word from Sinead at Google (via my chat with him on Tuesday) was that if someone views the YouTube video on another network / website, they would be captured for remarketing. If they simply liked the video or commented on it on the other page, that it wouldn't capture that... which makes sense.

I think this could be a very effective way to use remarketing, to say the least.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Kevin,

Glad to hear that your query is answered. Happy to help you Smiley Happy.

Thanks,
Rahul