AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Does RLSA work independent of ad groups?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I have been trying to wrap my head around RLSA and understand the concept, however there is a disconnect in the implementation. As stated, RLSA will target ads to individuals who are on the list. This RLSA is attached to an Ad Group that is part of a Campaign. i.e. Flowers_category -> Roses_are_red

This ad group has text ad's and general keywords. There is also an RLSA attached to it.

From what I gather, I assume that the entire ad group/keywords will ONLY be shown to the attached list. But in reality the ad group and RLSA are independent.The Ad group shows text ad's to individuals who

a) have never been to the website(regular search ad)

b) have been to the site (RLSA)

Why does it work this way? What am I not understanding? Is there a way to ONLY show the ad group to a certain RLSA list?

Thanks in advance and apologies if I did not make sense.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does RLSA work independent of ad groups?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Why does it work this way?

When you add an audience in a Search Campaign with the option "Target and bid" , the traffic is restricted to that Audience.

I do not know what happens when the Audience is not big enough for RLSA, meaning it does not have 1000 visitors ( cookies) , maybe in this case the system does not use that audience to restrict the Search Campaign traffic . It would be logical to prevent you from blocking an entire campaign by targeting it to a non-functional audience.

Is your audience made from enough visitors for RLSA, at least 1000 ? You can check this in the Shared Library / Audiences.

When you click on "Remarketing" to change the "Target and bid" to "Bid" the traffic is no longer restricted to the audience but for the audience you can tweak the bids , usually to bid higher for previous non-converted visitors, for example by 30%.

So here are 2 ways of using RLSA :

1) Make a separate campaign for it and use "Target and bid" to see traffic only from former visitors.

In this campaign you can use BMM keywords because the traffic will be much lower since it will match search terms only from previous visitors.

2) Include it in an already setup campaign , set it to "Bid" and just adjust the bid  10-30% more for the Audience. This means that if for a keyword you have MaxCPC 1 $ , when a previous visitor from the audience searches something that matches a keyword the Maxcpc becomes 1$ x 130% = 1.3 $

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

The concept / idea behind RLSA is to show ads to users, visited the site, and continue to search on  the topic;

There could be 2 main scenarios:

1. The user did not convert; (doing some research before making a decision)

2. The user did convert, but still has an interest in the product / service.

For these groups of users you want to show an ad.

For the first group, who did not covert and continue to search, you might show an ad with a "tight" ad-copy, use  exact mach keyworsds (that would match the specific query of the user), and put a higher bid to get a higher position: All to catch the attention of  a user who have specific interest. (Otherwise, the user would  not continue the search.)

For the second group, you might want to show other / similar services  for their next purchase.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much for your response. Please excuse my questions as I am still confused.

My current list are all above 1000 visitors for Google Search column.

If I create a separate campaign for each RLSA, then I will also have to create a new ad group with same keywords. Lets follow the example from my first post.

Scenario 1 (Create new campaign for RLSA)
Process Example:
I create new campaign to follow my "Flowers_category -> Roses_are_red".
1. Create Campaign name: "RLSA Flowers _category".
2. Create Ad group "Roses_are_red".
3. I attach "Flower_page_visitors" list to my ad group.

This is is redundant because my ad group "Roses_are_red" in the Non-rlsa campaign will contain the same keywords, text-ads and destination url with the only difference being is that I have attached my RLSA list to it. I will set the option to "Target and bid". The ads will be shown to ALL visitors (new and existing vistors). The bids might differ but my ad group ads will be shown to every visitor. This is what I do not understand.

I created an example last night in my account. The ad group currently has 30 clicks, 1775 impr. When I go to sub-tab Audience>remarketing, shows only 4 impr.

If RLSA is ONLY supposed to show my entire ad group to the visitors in the list, then I should not have 30 clicks and 1775 impr. It should be the same as the RLSA.

The other issue I have understanding is scalability. With X amount of categories/campaigns and Y amount of ad groups, do I replicate every single campaign/ad group just for RLSA?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Let's understand the first important thing. Replicating the Campaigns and Ad groups for the RLSA audience is useful only if you want to use Different keywords, more broad ones, OR same keywords but different Ads changed to match the fact that those people already know your site and simply did not convert. The pitch in the text should be different.

If you want to send the same message to the RLSA audience and just bid higer for them (to have your ads in a higher position only when they view them) , replicating the campaigns is not necessary.

Does this make sense ?

2) About "I will set the option to "Target and bid". The ads will be shown to ALL visitors (new and existing vistors). The bids might differ but my ad group ads will be shown to every visitor. This is what I do not understand."

The default "Target and bid" option asigns an exclusive targetting method reducing the traffic to just that targeting.

Your Ad Group from the example will only receive visits from the Audience in search, the existing visitors how you call them.

Only if you change this default option to "Bid" , the ad group allows other searchers to view the Ads and for the audience, the useful thing remains tweaking the "Bid" adjustment.

When you replicate a normal Search campaign to target the same keywords to the RLSA audience there is indeed a redundancy. This is because a user belonging to the RLSA audience can match either the normal Ad group because he is "any visitor" or the RLSA ad group , because you targeted him/her with the Audience.

To solve the redundancy you can exclude the audience from the normal campaign. Just navigate to the normal campaign to the Audiences Tab, search for the "Exclude" button and add the same audience to the "Exclude" list. This way a returning visitor who belongs to the RLSA audience will only be directed to the RLSA campaign. He/She will be excluded from the normal campaign which uses the same keywords.

Please ask any other questions, I like the RLSA , it is a profitable feature.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Quote:

>>"This is redundant because my ad group "Roses_are_red" in the Non-rlsa campaign will contain the same keywords, text-ads and destination url with the only difference being is that I have attached my RLSA list to it."

No. This is NOT a redundancy. The whole point is that for RLSA you do not use the same keywords, (or at least not the same match type), not the same bid and definitely not the same ad-copy;

Check case #1   in the my first reply for the logic: Your goal is to target  returning users who visited your site, and continue to conduct a search on the topic. So, you want to have keywords that are specific for your product / service, have a higher ad-rank and a very "tight"  ad-copy to attract the user's attention.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’