AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Does Google rotate Call tracking numbers between advertisers?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I'm currently using a JS call tracking solution similar to the Google's new feature. It links the keyword to the call conversion and pushes the goal through to GA.

As such, I'm interested in Google's option as it represents a cost saving option. However, it's not clear if Google assigns the forwarding number to a single business, or pulls the number from a pool of numbers that are constantly in rotation within their advertiser community.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Jake

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does Google rotate Call tracking numbers between advertisers?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jake;

Nice question;

Google forwarding number cannot serve as a business phone number. It is used to track online conversions;

• Your Google forwarding number is designed to track your online ad performance for call conversions, and your number(s) may change between ad groups and vary over time. Therefore, we don't recommend that you post or promote this number beyond your online ad campaigns with AdWords.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi

Thanks for your reply, but I think you missunderstood my question. I'm not looking to use the number as a static business number. I want to know, do the tracking numbers remain assigned to me while my campaign is active and using this feature? Or, is there a pool of rotating numbers being used by all advertisers?

If there is a pool numbers then I'd think it would lead to poor user experience since the user might call back from their phone history and connect with a different business.

I expect it is the former option, but it's not clear in the feature guide.

Thanks,

J

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Google says: (and I have seen it happening): "and your number(s) may change between ad groups and vary over time. " In other words - not  necessarily  the same number is assigned to you all the time. Now, the chances that it would change are not high - but it could happen.

As I said, the number is for   tracking call conversions. Not to serve as a published phone number (of the business).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I'm familiar with this type of tracking. We're currently use this type or JS phone number rotating software to track keyword level goal conversions.

I believe the "changing of numbers" is due to site traffic volume. If you consistently get more than 1 paid traffic user at anyone time, then tracking accuracy declines. To counteract this issue multiple phone tracking numbers are used. However, any one user will see only one phone number in their session.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Correct; If you contact other 3rd party call tracking services, most likely, they will offer you at last 5 numbers (and will charge for it), to counter an event of a few users calling simultaneously.
However, I don't think this is the only reason Googe changes the numbers.