AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Does Editing Text Ads (and editing them back) Mess Up Anything?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I notice that everytime you edit a text ad in AdWords the text ad is actually deleted and recreated. If I edit a text ad, and then edit it back to the original a few seconds, minutes or hours later, does this mess up anything important such as bids (when your using CPA)?

Forgot to ad: also when editing it back to the original is exactly the same.

For example, I sometimes update the Ad URL but the ad text has not changed and the landing page is exactly the same. This can occur as the old URL has been redirected and I don't want users to go through too many 401 redirects. Visually nothing on the ad has changed, neither has the landing page. However, as it has been edited, AdWords deletes and recreates the ad... is this disruptive?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Does Editing Text Ads (and editing them back) Mess Up Anything?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

Editing an ad is almost equal to creating a new ad. So, I won't actually recommend editing any ad. It's better to pause the old one and create the new one because you never know if your new ad is underforming and you want to switch back to the old one.

As far as the destination URLs are concerned, make sure that they don't take the user to some 404 or 405 error. Read more about the policy in this article.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Agree to pankaj. Pause the old ad and create a new one in most cases except when your URL has changed completely and the old URL takes users to an error page. What happens is AdWords system sometimes reviews all the ads even when they are pasued and if you happen to keep the ones which are leading to error page they get disapproved! A lot ad disapprovals can cause the account to be even suspended!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the info!

Makes sense to create a new ad, I also noticed that sometimes it takes a few minutes or hours for a ad to go from Eligible to Approved. So better to create a new ad until its approved and pause the old one.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
If you wanna do this for many ads, use the AdWords Editor and choose the "replace text"-function and choose "Duplicate selected items..." while doing that.
Then pause old ads.