AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Do you use automated rules? How do you approach them?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you have some rules that you *always* use? Do you have some starter rules that you could suggest? How do you approach automated rules? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Do you use automated rules? How do you approach them?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dustin,

My initial advise to anyone exploring automated rules is to be careful and check on them after each time they run.  If set up incorrectly, they can do some crazy things to your account, especially when adjusting bids.

There are so many possibilities right now with automated rules.  I personally don't like the idea of leaving things like daily conditional bid adjustments running all the time.  The data reporting lag can cause problems and the next thing you know, your bids have been doubled for no real reason or cut in half just the same.  I tend to use them for maintenance tasks that run immediately and once.

You really have to be strategic in how you set them up. Frequency and Data Ranges drive when and how often your rules run.  Shorter Data ranges may trigger a rule based on conversions too often, if conversion numbers vary on your account.

Was there anything in particular you were looking into using automated rules for?

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Dustin_S,

I'm using auto rules in a few different ways depending on the client needs, but I do not run them in all accounts by default.

In one account I have set up scheduled campaign pauses for public holidays. Pause campaign, Frequency is one time and the date & time I want it paused. Enable campaign, frequency one time and the start time. I have about 5-6 holidays scheduled this way which use 10-12 rules.

Another account I have a client who is really particular about his ad positions so I have set up rules to increase bids if ads are lower than a certain position and at least x impressions over the past 7 days. Another rule decreases the bids if we are above the target position.

Another popular rule I am using is to manage the daily budget over the weekends vs week days. A lot of my B2B clients want a reduced budget on Sat and Sun so I put rules in place to drop them on Friday evening and increase them again on monday mornings.

This might give you some ideas but you can't just set and forget. The rules aren't 100% sure to run and you may get conflicting rules if you are using a lot in one account. It still needs proper management.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dustin,

My initial advise to anyone exploring automated rules is to be careful and check on them after each time they run.  If set up incorrectly, they can do some crazy things to your account, especially when adjusting bids.

There are so many possibilities right now with automated rules.  I personally don't like the idea of leaving things like daily conditional bid adjustments running all the time.  The data reporting lag can cause problems and the next thing you know, your bids have been doubled for no real reason or cut in half just the same.  I tend to use them for maintenance tasks that run immediately and once.

You really have to be strategic in how you set them up. Frequency and Data Ranges drive when and how often your rules run.  Shorter Data ranges may trigger a rule based on conversions too often, if conversion numbers vary on your account.

Was there anything in particular you were looking into using automated rules for?

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Dustin_S,

I'm using auto rules in a few different ways depending on the client needs, but I do not run them in all accounts by default.

In one account I have set up scheduled campaign pauses for public holidays. Pause campaign, Frequency is one time and the date & time I want it paused. Enable campaign, frequency one time and the start time. I have about 5-6 holidays scheduled this way which use 10-12 rules.

Another account I have a client who is really particular about his ad positions so I have set up rules to increase bids if ads are lower than a certain position and at least x impressions over the past 7 days. Another rule decreases the bids if we are above the target position.

Another popular rule I am using is to manage the daily budget over the weekends vs week days. A lot of my B2B clients want a reduced budget on Sat and Sun so I put rules in place to drop them on Friday evening and increase them again on monday mornings.

This might give you some ideas but you can't just set and forget. The rules aren't 100% sure to run and you may get conflicting rules if you are using a lot in one account. It still needs proper management.