AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Do exact match campaigns need negative keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running an exact match campaign but am curious to know if i should be also running negative keywords along side it?

Any advice or help will be appreciated.

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marc M
September 2015

Re: Do exact match campaigns need negative keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Marc,

It really depends on the goals for your campaign. I assume it's to only get specific traffic interested in your product or service. Adding negative keywords is kind of pointless with this type of matching option, unless there are specific words you *dont* want to appear for. 

From Adwords Help:https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497825?hl=en&ref_topic=3122868

"exact match gives you the most control over who sees your ad, and can result in a higher clickthrough rate (CTR)."

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marc M
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Marc,

It really depends on the goals for your campaign. I assume it's to only get specific traffic interested in your product or service. Adding negative keywords is kind of pointless with this type of matching option, unless there are specific words you *dont* want to appear for. 

From Adwords Help:https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497825?hl=en&ref_topic=3122868

"exact match gives you the most control over who sees your ad, and can result in a higher clickthrough rate (CTR)."

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Marc, the simple answer is "no", since Exact Matches match only the exact term you're using.  However, by default, Campaigns allow "close variations" of Exact matches which may include plurals, misspellings and stemmings.  In most cases these close variations will be useful matches however if you feel a particular variation is not useful or relevant you should turn off the close variation option, including any you want to keep as their own Keywords.

For example, if your exact match was [concrete floor], Google will by default allow a match for concrete floors and concrete flooring.  If "concrete floors" is a useful match, but "concrete flooring" is not, you should turn off close variants and then add [concrete floors] as its own exact match Keyword.

More about Match Types

Jon 

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon, How do you as you mention: "you should turn off close variants " Thanks James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Marc

Actual If Use Exact Match Keywords Don't Need Negative keywords for your group or campaign beacase your are also binding of exact put visitor these selection is no more generate ROI only get high impression in Adwords Account