AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Do call only ads compete?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The industry we're in, it makes sense for us to use call only ads for mobile. However, our mobile already converts well.

Do I literally replicate the entire campaign and switch it to call only?

But won't that ultimately mean call-only, competing with my regular campaign? I obviously can't use negatives etc to prevent competition. 

Re: Do call only ads compete?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Paul,

Usually when you have call only ads, Adwords will prefer those instead of the old ones, since it understands that you are focusing specially for mobile on that campaign.

But if you really want to make sure that anything doesn't go wrong, you can always use the bid adjustment on your desktop campaign to exclude mobile by giving a -100% adjust on it's cpc.

Check this out here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

"If you don’t want to show ads on mobile devices at all, select -100% (not 0%) to opt out. Note that if the campaign mobile bid adjustment is -100%, then the ad group mobile bid adjustment won't be used"

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, it will be interesting to see how call only ads perform vs mobile ads, especially as our website is well optimised for mobile.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It is not as easy as "replicate and switch" . You have to create Ads in the "Call only " format, which are not the usual text ads, although it is easy to confuse the two since they have almost the same fields.