AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Do I need to add keywords to an adwords merchant center campaing?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Everyone,

I just set up a Google Merchant Center account with 38 products. I got the feed into Merchant Center and then linked to adwords. From what i have been reading, Google makes the ads for merchant center feeds and pulls the keywords from description and titles.

So why would I add keywords to that ad group?

I am guessing I make another ad or make those ads some how more targeted than what google would use?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pierre W
September 2015

Re: Do I need to add keywords to an adwords merchant center campaing?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Pierre W !

Congratulations for experimenting with PLA , I didn't get that far in my training , since it's not available in all countries Smiley Happy

Here is what the help pages say :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454022

"Benefits of Product Listing Ads...

Easy management: With product targeting, you won't need to use keywords. Based on the product targets you set up, your Product Listing Ads are matched with the most relevant searches using information you provide in your Merchant Center account. "

also lower on the page

"How much Product Listing Ads cost....

We charge for clicks on your Product Listings Ads on a cost-per-click (CPC) basis. Since Product Listing Ads don't use keywords, you'll use attributes in your Merchant Center product feed to define product targets. "

The only optimisation that I can think of is splitting PLA in many granular ad-groups and bidding differently according to competition.

The help page about monitoring performance provides some hints :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456108

Just quoting :

"

To review your ad performance, you can see the standard performance data within the Ads tab. Here are a couple of metrics that will reflect non-standard performance data:

• % Served: This percentage divides the impressions from a single ad by the total impressions from all ads. The sum of all the percentages in an ad group will always equal 100%. When relevant, a Product Listing Ads may appear for the same search term as a text ad. This metric doesn't assume only one ad per merchant on a search term will appear in the Product Listing Ads case.
  • Average position: This metric isn't applicable to Product Listing Ads, which appear separately from standard AdWords ads. Therefore this metric will always be zero for these ads. The total row at the bottom of the data won't include Product Listing Ads in the average that's calculated for the entire ad group, campaign, or account."

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pierre W
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Pierre W !

Congratulations for experimenting with PLA , I didn't get that far in my training , since it's not available in all countries Smiley Happy

Here is what the help pages say :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454022

"Benefits of Product Listing Ads...

Easy management: With product targeting, you won't need to use keywords. Based on the product targets you set up, your Product Listing Ads are matched with the most relevant searches using information you provide in your Merchant Center account. "

also lower on the page

"How much Product Listing Ads cost....

We charge for clicks on your Product Listings Ads on a cost-per-click (CPC) basis. Since Product Listing Ads don't use keywords, you'll use attributes in your Merchant Center product feed to define product targets. "

The only optimisation that I can think of is splitting PLA in many granular ad-groups and bidding differently according to competition.

The help page about monitoring performance provides some hints :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456108

Just quoting :

"

To review your ad performance, you can see the standard performance data within the Ads tab. Here are a couple of metrics that will reflect non-standard performance data:

• % Served: This percentage divides the impressions from a single ad by the total impressions from all ads. The sum of all the percentages in an ad group will always equal 100%. When relevant, a Product Listing Ads may appear for the same search term as a text ad. This metric doesn't assume only one ad per merchant on a search term will appear in the Product Listing Ads case.
  • Average position: This metric isn't applicable to Product Listing Ads, which appear separately from standard AdWords ads. Therefore this metric will always be zero for these ads. The total row at the bottom of the data won't include Product Listing Ads in the average that's calculated for the entire ad group, campaign, or account."

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Adrian,

That's what I was thinking. I paid a guy to fix my feed but now I see that I needed him to now add the Adwords_grouping. But I'm confused about how to separate those groups. 

If I create the attribute in my shopping cart, then I group them in Adwords or in my shopping cart?

I know how to add the attribute adwords_grouping but not the products into specific groups? 

I hope that makes sense.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I think you should open a new thread with this , since it is not about keywords. New threads receive a lot more attention since they are published in the section "Unanswered threads" and you can receive inputs from more users.

For example AdWiser(Calin Sandici) is a programmer who has experience with PLA and in the future there will be a possibility to call a specific user to comment on a problem with the @Mentions instruction , read more about it here

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Announcement-Mentions-Beta-on-English-AdWor...