AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Displaying URL for ads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All, 

I need little help over displaying URLs. I know that we are allowed to use one display URL domain per ad group: All display URLs within a single ad group must have the same domain. However I want to know whether I can use different display URL for same landing page on same domain.

For Example I am displaying 2 URLs below

1. domain.com/mail-support

2. mail-support.domain.com

Are the above display URLs valid ? Kindly provide some information on this. 

Any response on this matter will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Yogen

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Displaying URL for ads

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Your question : Are the above display URLs valid ?

If the landing subdomain is the same as displayed, is ok.

This have been discussed here too

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Display-URL-as-Subdomain/m-p/62142/highlight/true...

Quote :

However below valiation are allowed

display                               Destination

mysite1.example.com - mysite1.example.com
example.com - subdomain.example.com

Not Allowed

mysite1.example.com                mysite2.example.com

And the help page documents this situation with an example :

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/175906?hl=en#

Display URL: adwords.google.com
Landing page: adsense.google.com
Not acceptable
The ad's display URL has a different subdomain ("adwords") than the landing page URL's subdomain ("adsense").
Display URL: example.com
Landing page: subdomain.example.com
Acceptable
The ad's display URL can be just the domain ("example.com") if clicking it takes users to a subdomain of example.com.

If this helps, please come back and close this thread with green button "Accept this solution"

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yogen
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Like I said using a subdomain is not forbidden, BUT the Destination URL must be in the same subdomain.

So both display URLs are good IF you setup the recomended Destination URL in the ad. You cannot show them the Display URL of a farmacy website and than send them to a Destination URL of a Grocery store.

There is also a limitation of lenght :

Long display URLs

We can show up to 35 characters of your display URL due to limited space. For languages that use double-width characters, like Chinese (simplified or traditional), Japanese, or Korean, we can show up to 17 characters of your display URL. If your display URL is longer than the maximum character length, we'll shorten your display URL when we show your ad.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Petebardo.

In above case  xxxx.com is domain name.  I checked with adword people in India and according to them those URLs are fine.  XXXX.com/yahoo-email-support  this is actual webpage on the domain xxxx.com

But in other 2 URLS 

yahoo-mail-not-working.XXXX.com
yahoo.customer.service.XXXX.com

Those webpages do not exist. Though the domain name is clearly visible in Displaying URLS (xxxx.com) which is their condition.

The display URLs in  ad is showing the correct domain name where users will land when they click on your ad. Destination URLs for above all three ads is xxx.com/yahoo-email-support.

According  to them I can use the above URLs in displaying URLs.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Your question : Are the above display URLs valid ?

If the landing subdomain is the same as displayed, is ok.

This have been discussed here too

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Display-URL-as-Subdomain/m-p/62142/highlight/true...

Quote :

However below valiation are allowed

mysite1.example.com - mysite1.example.com
example.com - subdomain.example.com

Not Allowed

mysite1.example.com                mysite2.example.com

And the help page documents this situation with an example :

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/175906?hl=en#

Display URL: adwords.google.com
Landing page: adsense.google.com
Not acceptable
The ad's display URL has a different subdomain ("adwords") than the landing page URL's subdomain ("adsense").
Display URL: example.com
Landing page: subdomain.example.com
Acceptable
The ad's display URL can be just the domain ("example.com") if clicking it takes users to a subdomain of example.com.

If this helps, please come back and close this thread with green button "Accept this solution"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
1. domain.com/mail-support
2. mail-support.domain.com

These are valid for display URLs as per Adword manager
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Like I said using a subdomain is not forbidden, BUT the Destination URL must be in the same subdomain.

So both display URLs are good IF you setup the recomended Destination URL in the ad. You cannot show them the Display URL of a farmacy website and than send them to a Destination URL of a Grocery store.

There is also a limitation of lenght :

Long display URLs

We can show up to 35 characters of your display URL due to limited space. For languages that use double-width characters, like Chinese (simplified or traditional), Japanese, or Korean, we can show up to 17 characters of your display URL. If your display URL is longer than the maximum character length, we'll shorten your display URL when we show your ad.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I emailed to adword manager and clearly asked for following URLs.

XXXX.com/yahoo-email-support

I am using the first one and know that is valid, but was not sure for 2nd and 3rd. Due to privacy I changed domain name to XXXX. According to her the above URLs are valid. Adrian, I wanted to make sure about this because my account was suspended few days ago and MosheTLV helped me to remove that suspension. So I was little scared this time .

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Well than let's hope he takes a look at this thread   , since he is like the good Gandalf of this Middle Earth, and he can help us with a solution.

My answers are not a 100% guarantee that you will get your ads up and running without suspension, I don't have that much of experience with suspensions.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Yogen,

XXXX.com/yahoo-email-support

The first URL is a valid display URL. The second URL is only valid if yahoo-mail-not-working.XXXX.com is a valid domain and the user ends up at that domain after all redirects. Same for the third URL, yahoo.customer.service.XXXX.com, it must be valid and the domain where the user ends up after all redirects.

See this article for more information: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/175906?hl=en#

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Petebardo.

In above case  xxxx.com is domain name.  I checked with adword people in India and according to them those URLs are fine.  XXXX.com/yahoo-email-support  this is actual webpage on the domain xxxx.com

But in other 2 URLS 

Those webpages do not exist. Though the domain name is clearly visible in Displaying URLS (xxxx.com) which is their condition.

The display URLs in  ad is showing the correct domain name where users will land when they click on your ad. Destination URLs for above all three ads is xxx.com/yahoo-email-support.

According  to them I can use the above URLs in displaying URLs.