AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display targeting: Interest inclusions and exclusions conflict

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am working with multimedia client that offers games, videos, music and books. I created a new campaign to target people by interest with 4 ad-groups, one for each product, and was wondering if there would be a conflict due to interest exclusions. For example, if i target "movie lovers" and "music lovers" in 2 separate ad groups, would it make sense to exclude music lovers in the movies campaign? would there be a conflict? would this affect impressions if movie lovers also happen to be music lovers? Any thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display targeting: Interest inclusions and exclusions conflict

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hmmm...Interesting...

To the best of my testings, interests is based on the OR condition. (Probably due to privacy restrictions). If you are using this targeting method, the ad may be shown to the user for each category. (unless you set  a frequency capping)

I personally do not like interests, If you check your ads settings (on your  Google account settings) - I am quite confident that you'll find interests associated with your account - you have no interest in Smiley Surprised I did not know that visiting the Chinese Adwords community would assign me  an interest in the  Chinese language....Smiley Surprised ) - I think that topics targeting - works better,

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the response Moshe,

Our target is very broad, almost everyone including you is probably a target Smiley Wink We have a bunch of campaigns running with different targeting methods and I'd like to test a new set of ads based on user interests.

The only reason im excluding interests between adgroups is to have better data for each media type. If you were to set an interest marketing display campaign do you think you would structure it like me? separate adgroups excluding other ad group targets?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
A said; and using my personal example; I do not target (anymore) using interests.
Unlike Facebook; I don't think Google can narrow audiences to a level needed for an effective display campaign.
So; I prefer topics. Furthermore; unlike remarketing, if you exclude a user from categories that partiality overlap - the remaining list is NOT users that were not excluded. Both lists are excluded.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Moshe,

I think i will target all interests in the same adgroup since I will be displaying the same creatives anyway. and ill restructure the campaign without splitting products.