AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display only campaign for desktop and tablet only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've found that my display only campaigns that consumers click on their mobile phone devices generate zero sales. I would like to limit these campaigns to desktop and tablet only. Can I do this somewhere in settings?

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Display only campaign for desktop and tablet only

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Hermitian,

Welcome to AdWords community Smiley Happy

Yes this is possible, you can decrease 100% bid for mobile device through bid adjustment. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Sometimes you will get ad impression in tablet apps, that consume your money but does not give result that you can also exclude. That is described here https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Start-Investing-in-Display-Network-with-These-...

Hope it will help Smiley Happy

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hermitian
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Hermitian the answer to your original question - how to turn off mobiles only - is in Rakesh's original answer; you apply a -100% bid adjustment to mobile devices.

I suspect he mentioned tablets because the same issue applies to phones as does to tablets.  Although you may not be seeing any conversions attributed to mobiles, they may be providing "assists", e.g. people could be initially seeing your Ad(s) on a mobile phone then later visiting your website from a PC or tablet and converting.  The (relatively) new "Estimated Conversions" columns can help identify these cross-device conversions but if you still wish to turn off mobiles, just make sure you monitor overall conversions after doing so, if they begin to fall, it may be worth turning mobiles on again.

Here's how to prevent your Ads showing on mobiles, and leave them showing on Desktops and Tablets:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Simply select your Campaign, click the "Settings" tab then choose "Devices" click in the column next to "Mobile Devices with Full Browsers" under Bid Adj, and choose to decrease by 100.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Hermitian,

Welcome to AdWords community Smiley Happy

Yes this is possible, you can decrease 100% bid for mobile device through bid adjustment. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Sometimes you will get ad impression in tablet apps, that consume your money but does not give result that you can also exclude. That is described here https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Start-Investing-in-Display-Network-with-These-...

Hope it will help Smiley Happy

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But I want my adds to show on tablets.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi
You cannot separate desktops from tablets. They are in the same category.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not trying to separate desktops from tablets. I want to target them, but avoid smart phones. How to achieve this?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Please follow my first reply and read the article, you will find the answers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Rakesh, you very clearly don't understand my question.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Unfortunately; though many advertisers have requested this; you cannot target tablets separately from desktops. You can only see the data separately;
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hermitian
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Hermitian the answer to your original question - how to turn off mobiles only - is in Rakesh's original answer; you apply a -100% bid adjustment to mobile devices.

I suspect he mentioned tablets because the same issue applies to phones as does to tablets.  Although you may not be seeing any conversions attributed to mobiles, they may be providing "assists", e.g. people could be initially seeing your Ad(s) on a mobile phone then later visiting your website from a PC or tablet and converting.  The (relatively) new "Estimated Conversions" columns can help identify these cross-device conversions but if you still wish to turn off mobiles, just make sure you monitor overall conversions after doing so, if they begin to fall, it may be worth turning mobiles on again.

Here's how to prevent your Ads showing on mobiles, and leave them showing on Desktops and Tablets:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Simply select your Campaign, click the "Settings" tab then choose "Devices" click in the column next to "Mobile Devices with Full Browsers" under Bid Adj, and choose to decrease by 100.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Cobnut for the clarification.

I've been using Adwords since its inception so I have years of Analytics data stored away. Last month I began analyzing the growing number of clicks from mobile devices that seemed to be going nowhere. Using the Analytics data, I was able to determine the origination of all but 3% of my sales over the last year. That's a stark contrast to the 70% of clicks from mobile devices generating zero sales.

I will try the 100% decreased bid and see what happens. I also had the concern that some tablets that connect via cell modem would be categorized as "Mobile with full browser" -- but I could not ferret out any instances of this in the Analytics data.