AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display network "specific reach" unnavailable after enabling "flexible reach" network setting?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone else had this issue? I've called twice with no real solution from Google, thus far.

Issue: New campaign with search and display active. Activated the new "flexible reach" network option which touts the ability to control the display network's reach settings for/in your ad groups.

However, once the campaign is running, I can't find the option to limit my display network reach from either the campaign level (where the option used to be) or ad group level settings tabs. The campaign level network settings don't have any options beyond activation or deactivation. The ad group settings only contain the message that these settings are inherated from the campaign.

They suggested I try turning off search network and turn it back on, with no success. Right now, I am having to severley stunt my display cpc bids until I can cut off automatic placements.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display network "specific reach" unnavailable after enabling "flexible reach&quot

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi novatexsolution,

Welcome!

Do you have any options for managing your GDN ad groups on the 'Display Network Tab'?

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Display network "specific reach" unnavailable after enabling "flexible reach&

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can open the display network tab at both campaign and ad group level. I can't see or navigate through to any options on reach within that the tab, though. 

Re: Display network "specific reach" unnavailable after enabling "flexible reach&

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Again,

I think you may have interpreted the abilities of the Flexible Reach incorrectly.  I may also be interpreting your query incorrectly too.

From what I understand, you have selected Flexible Reach and now want to adjust the settings for "Broad Reach or Specific Reach".  Based on what I've read, I'm not so sure you can do that once Flexible Reach has been selected.  I have not used this method at all myself so I can only speak from documentation.

Here are a few items that may relate to your situation.

This is from the popup next to Flexible Reach on the settings tab:

"Fine-tune where your ads show by choosing your settings at the ad group level instead of the campaign level. This will give you more control over where your ads appear and who sees them.

Once you've selected this option, you can choose to use your targeting methods (such as placements or topics) for targeting your ads or for bidding only.

For new campaigns: This change will apply to all your ad groups.

For existing campaigns: Your existing ad groups will keep your existing campaign setting ("Broad reach" or "Specific reach"), as long as you don't add or delete targeting methods. If you make any changes to your targeting methods, the ad group will start using the new flexible reach setting. All your new ad groups will have the flexible reach setting by default."

Also here is the Google Help Doc:  About flexible reach

I'm not seeing anything that mentions being able to adjust 'Reach' settings, at the Ad Group level, the documentation mentions being able to adjust your targeting methods but nothing about 'Reach'.

If I'm completely missing your issue, please try to elaborate a bit and I or someone else will see what we can do to guide you.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you may have just given me the answer. assumed from the descriptive text next to the option (" Flexible reach: Control your Display Network reach for each of your ad groups") that I could determine broad or specific for each ad group with flexible. Had no indication that it basically removes those options.

Well, the issue is now that they have elimanated your ability to completley exclude automatic placements. I have each ad-group marked as "Show ads only on these placements" using the fleible reach placement tool, and still am recieving many "other domains" traffic I don't want.

Re: Display network "specific reach" unnavailable after enabling "flexible reach"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello guys;

I am jumping into this discussion to say that Tom is right: Flexible reach , overrides campaign settings. Like in any other setting - the more specific setting overrides the default/ general setting.

So, if choose to use Flexible Reach at ad-group level: these settings apply.

It is correct the text in the help center is not clear enough, but the example given implies that.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’