AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display impressions suddenly skyrocket

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi good morning,

I was surprised checking my account today and seeing that a couple of my remarketing campaigns yesterday had like 100 times the amount of impressions as on an average day and with a cost only yesterday similar to the whole past month. It is actually that as you might know, happens from time to time. There is suddenly a day where impressions suddenly go to the sky. Just maybe not times 100 Smiley Happy

The extreme increase came through mobile impressions.

1) Any ideas why this could be? The normal search campaign that feeds this list didnt show an unnormal behaviour.

2) How could I limit this? Budget is surely a way, but I dont like that one. Is there another one? 

Thanks a lot!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arturo P
September 2016

Re: Display impressions suddenly skyrocket

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Arturo,

Yup, applying various prompt exclusions like above is a pretty good idea, of course. You may also want to study the placement reports in the campaigns affected and exclude the culprits. There is a lag in placement reporting of 1-2 days therefore I'd wait till it is sort of complete.

Please learn, however, that the measures suggested above are partial and posterior. When the tide is coming, there is no way of knowing in advance where it would come from. Therefore, even tough you dislike the idea, I'd cap it with setting a daily budget.

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Arturo,

Looks like a sudden increase due to some media coverage, anniversary or sort of "breaking the news" that might up traffic 100 or even more times within minutes. (Note that you cannot cap your daily advertising spend without specifying a daily budget, either directly or via a script.)

Otherwise, are we talking about Display campaigns or RLSA campaigns? Could you depict the scenario a bit more thoroughly for us?

Best,
Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Arturo,

One of the ways you can limit impressions is to go to the settings of your display campaign and make sure that there is a frequency cap.
This makes sure that you're not spamming users with your adverts all day.

Hope this helps,

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Lakatos,
thanks for your replay. I am talking about display campaigns.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arturo,

Could be due to increased app traffic. You might need to add adsenseformobileapps.com as a campaign placement exclusion. In addition to Topic Exclusion such as “Games.”

Hope this helps,

Nadine

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arturo P
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Arturo,

Yup, applying various prompt exclusions like above is a pretty good idea, of course. You may also want to study the placement reports in the campaigns affected and exclude the culprits. There is a lag in placement reporting of 1-2 days therefore I'd wait till it is sort of complete.

Please learn, however, that the measures suggested above are partial and posterior. When the tide is coming, there is no way of knowing in advance where it would come from. Therefore, even tough you dislike the idea, I'd cap it with setting a daily budget.

Best,
Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Sure, thank you all. Exclusions had already been applied. I guess nothing left but capping the budget.

Best regards and thanks for the help!