AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display campaign optimzer setup questions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am looking to experiment with running a DCO campaign. 

The existing campaign is image display only, CPA is very good already <$3, with ~50+ conversions/day (been running for a while). I cannot image how much improvement I'd see, but thought I'd test for any lean gains. 

Info. on proper setup seems to be lacking and I feel like I've heard different setup methods. 

The campaign has 1 ad group, I copied that Ad group, so now the campaign has two ad groups. I am running a 50/50 experiment, with the existing ad group as control and the DCO test as experiment. 

I setup the DCO test ad group and just selected the "Targeting Optimization" option. I left out any other targeting. But, nothing ran. Do I need to select some targeting? I thought it could run without targeting and just let Google decide and it would use the Historic Campaign conversion metrics to optimize. 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display campaign optimzer setup questions

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for posting on our Community forum. Regarding your Display Campaign Optimizer issue, have you gone over the AdWords Help Center article on how to setup DCO? If not, here are the basic steps:

The Display Campaign Optimizer is a tool that automatically optimizes both targeting and bidding to help you find additional conversions for your ad groups in Display Network campaigns. This tool is available for campaigns that have reached 15 conversions per month. Using this tool is easy -- you simply provide us with your target cost-per-acquisition (CPA), ads, and budget. The Display Campaign Optimizer automatically determines the appropriate placements to show your ads at the right prices.

Requirements

To use the Display Campaign Optimizer, create a "Display Network only - All features" campaign.

We suggest using Target CPA bidding, but you can also have a different bid option enabled.

The Display Campaign Optimizer relies on Google algorithms to predict, test, and optimize targeting based on your campaign's historic data. For this reason, if your campaign doesn't have at least 15 conversions per month, you won't be able to use Display Campaign Optimizer in your ad groups.

Opting in

If you're among the advertisers who can access the "Targeting optimization" option in your ad groups, you'll see this option when you follow these steps:

1. Click the Display Network tab.
  2. Select your ad group, and click the + Targeting button.
  3. In the "Targeting optimization" section below the different targeting methods, select the checkbox to be able to get more conversions. Automatic campaign optimization
  4. Click Save.

If you're using Conversion Optimizer and select the "Targeting optimization" option, we'll use the CPA you've already set for Conversion Optimizer. If you aren't using Conversion Optimizer, AdWords will infer a CPA target from your manual targeting and try to match the performance of the rest of your ad group.

Reporting

To see what conversions you're getting from the Display Campaign Optimizer, you'll need to segment your report by "Targeting mode." Here's how:

1. Click the Display Network tab from within the campaign for which you'd like to see statistics.
  2. Click the Placements tab.
  3. Click the "Segment" drop-down menu and select "Targeting mode."
  4. In the reporting table, look for placements categorized as "Auto-targeted."

Tip

If you'd like to see statistics generated through the Display Campaign Optimizer, you can download your automatic placements and sort by "Targeting mode."

Opting out

You can opt an ad group out of Display Campaign Optimizer at any time. Just follow these steps:

1. Select your ad group.
  2. Click the Display Network tab.
  3. Click the + Targeting button.
  4. Scroll down to the "Targeting optimization" section.
  5. Deselect the checkbox.
  6. Click Save.

There are also some great Community threads that discusses Campaign Optimizer. I highly recommend you review at least this one link to help you setup your DCO campaign: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/GDN-Campaigns-Optimization/m-p/3280...