AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display and destination URL's

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I don't know if there is any actual logic to the use of these or not.....

Display = what the searcher see's

Destination = where the user goes

Now for the head scratching... 

If display is abc.com and destination is xyz.com, but is really forwarded to abc.com = disallowed...

but if

display is abc.com and destination is zyw.com, but is has a forwarding MASK (ie appears as the display url) abc.com = allowed

In the end, what is the real difference?????  Exactly the same result is finally displayed????

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Display and destination URL's

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually, the reason is because many of the tracking systems use redirect through 3rd party domains to track the clicks and import it into their system. Therefore, as long as the ultimate URL the customer is going to is the same as the display URL, Google is fine with that.

User experience isn't hurt, and advertisers can measure ROI better Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey,

In my opnion the logic is that Google doesn't want to confuse Smiley Frustrated the user - 

If the user click on an Ad that says abc.com he should get into a page that is on the abc.com domain Smiley Very Happy

Cheers,

Asaf

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually, the reason is because many of the tracking systems use redirect through 3rd party domains to track the clicks and import it into their system. Therefore, as long as the ultimate URL the customer is going to is the same as the display URL, Google is fine with that.

User experience isn't hurt, and advertisers can measure ROI better Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

If you're referring to Display ads, the problem right now is that your "Display URL" isn't showing at all.

Normally, you would want to display your Home Page URL in a Display Ad  (www.example.com).

The destination is usually more specific to the search (www.example.com/widgets).

Hope this helps,

RPquest

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That's what I was getting at.  The ultimate "url" is the same, but it is a redirected url.  And Google in its infinite wisdom can't see that they are one in the same....

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Key_West_Express,

I think you're abit confused on this.

"Now for the head scratching... 

If display is abc.com and destination is xyz.com, but is really forwarded to abc.com = disallowed...

but if

display is abc.com and destination is zyw.com, but is has a forwarding MASK (ie appears as the display url) abc.com = allowed"

Both of there, if I understand you correctly, would be approved.

If display url is abc.com, destination in xyz.com but really forwarded to abc.com, that disply url is compliant and will be allowed. If the page is on abc.com but being displayed in a frame from xyz.com, that will be disallowed. The rule is the display URL domain must match the domain of the destination after all redirects. I find it very useful. Some landing pages can have pretty long and ugly destination URL's. I would want to have to show that as a display URL. Also, the display URL is not required to be a real page, so often I will use keywords in the display URL. Usually when I do this, I will set a virtual page to point to the actual page on the web server.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords