AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display ads not showing company URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When creating a display ad, one of the fields is called "Display URL", just like for text ads. However, the URL does not show up on the display ad created with Google's ad creator, but it does show up on the text ads.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Display ads not showing company URL

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Rockofages,

You're right - at the moment Google choose not to show the "Display URL" in ads builed by the "Display Ad Builder".

Because they might choose to show it in the future - you do need to fill up this field - just as you do with your regular text ads.

Cheers,

Asaf

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Rockofages,

You're right - at the moment Google choose not to show the "Display URL" in ads builed by the "Display Ad Builder".

Because they might choose to show it in the future - you do need to fill up this field - just as you do with your regular text ads.

Cheers,

Asaf

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for heads up! Google has created sort of a triple defect. First, they mislead the advertiser by asking them what URL they want displayed, then don't show it. Second, viewers of the ad don't know who the advertiser is, the most important fact. Third, the advertiser, if they ever figure out that their company name is missing, have to use up the very limited text spact to tell people. It's really nice having such a user-friendly flash ad creator. But it's not so nice to then discover it's almost useless for advertising a brand or company's name. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Rockofages,

I've brought up this issue but nothing has come of it yet.

I still think it's something that should be addressed immediately as it "appears" as it "could be" interpreted as a deceptive practice.

Here's a link to read more and I still wonder why more PAYING advertisers are not outraged.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Url-NOT-displayed-in-Display-Ads-as-indicated-whe...

RPquest

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After spending some time designing a nice display flash ad, and only afterward "discovering" the most important detail was not included, I stopped my campaign.  Why?  For the simple and logical reason that I know many thousands of previous visitors to my site know who we are and what out site is. However, with a nice flashy ad offering a great product, but not letting them know they've already seen it, they "Learn More" only by clicking the button. My hunch is that the main reason many advertisers aren't upset is because they don't know their company-brand is not showing on their paid ads.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 6
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Rockofages,

This is an experiment that Google runs to see how users will react.

Thanks,
Zee
G+

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Zee,

You're claiming that this is an "experiment to see how users will react"??

I would think that at this point, the reaction *MAY* be litigation for deceptive business practices along with false advertising.

As I'm sure that you know, when a user creates a Display Ad, Google is indicating that the Company URL WILL SHOW.

Note the DISPLAY URL and the www.yourUrl.com indicating/suggesting that the Company URL will show in the created ad.

ALL of the information that I have been able to find STILL indicates that the Url WILL SHOW when it CLEARLY DOES NOT making it deceptive and very likely a legal issue being that people are PAYING for the URL to show as INDICATED BY GOOGLE's help, how to, etc.

Now I'm no legal expert by any means, but I'm wondering that if/when this becomes a legal complaint, I can only wonder if advertisers will be able to recover some of the advertising costs being that they are paying for a FULL Display Ad (INCLUDING COMPANY URL AS INDICATED BY GOOGLE'S HELP, HOW TO, ETC) BUT ONLY BEING GIVEN A PORTION OF THE PRODUCT.

This has been going on since before the "new" forums and has yet to be addressed AND ALL OF THE POLICIES THAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND, CLEARLY INDICATE THAT THE URL WILL SHOW.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Url-NOT-displayed-in-Display-Ads-as-indicated-whe...

Any additional information on when this "experiment" will end is appreciated.

RPquest

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Zee, 

That sounds reasonable. You let your valuable advertisers unknowingly post "blind" ads, without their brand or name URL, thereby forcing searchers to "click" to only "Learn" they've seen and know all about that site and or product. Your valuable trusting advertiser spends money needlessly. You're obviously not and never was in business, having to spend your own $ for marketing. Otherwise you'd know as quick as a bolt of lightening how "users will react."  Great experiment!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

By my reckoning, after reading Google's own philosophy statements, removing critical information from an ad is against most of those 10 philosophies listed. For example, the first sentence in philosophy #1, "Since the beginning, we’ve focused on providing the best user experience possible. " No doubt that's why a URL, which tells the user the name of the company or brand, is added on all search results. But removing them from display ads will obviously have the opposite effect: it attracts the user to click a link that they might have skipped over had they seen the company name. That does not provide the best user experience. Not only is the user paying by wasting time, but the advertiser is also paying for wasted clicks. This so-called "experiment" goes against most of the key philosophies.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

refer to image ad best practise, it says "Prominently show your display URL which typically contains a company's name,"

http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=23642&guide=23640&page=gui...