AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display ads approved but not served - too restricted?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have 6 image ads set up and it has been approved however it appears to not have served or gained impressions so far. 

I have radius targeting in place as well as certain placements - could this be why?

Thanks, 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display ads approved but not served - too restricted?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lianne,

Radius targeting (obviously) reduces the number of impressions you are going to get - but then so do placements - if these are set to "target and bid"....

If you select, say, three websites that you think people in your target group might visit, and then select target and bid, then only people in your geo are, who are on those specific, named placements could possibly trigger your impressions.

So that's the first thing to consider.

The next thing to check is your bid. There is a wildly prevalent misconception that Google ads are cheap - people will tell you that you can get traffic for only a few cents.... it's true, you can... but not in any numbers - and often only in certain circumstances. So if you have your bids set for only a few cents, you're going to have to bite the bullet and increase them.

I have often seen GDN campaigns that need a kick start. Try pushing your bids up by a lot.... don't worry, if you have your daily budget set you wont spend (much) more than that. Sometimes this appears to wake Google up to your campaign, and you can then drop the base bid again a few days later once you see what clicks actually cost.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Lianne,

In addition to above point. As you are running only banner ads, it means you will not always receive impression on some sites. Some placement do not support all format and sizes of ads. Thus add some text ads in your campaign so that you are able to reduce the chances of loosing traffic on the placements that support only text ads.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your message.

The placements are on "target and bid" option. I have increased the bids for the display ads, we'll see what that does. I don't think our targeting method is the best way as it is too restrictive.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
How many placements have you added?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
8 placements with same niche theme

Thanks,
Lianne

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
That's very few - especially if your geo area is tight.... you are relying upon the people in your geo area visiting these specific pages only, and then that your bid is high enough to beat the competition - remember, in search advertising there are 11 ad slots - you appear in the slot you "win" in the auction.... with display advertising your ad appears or it doesn't - there is only one winner per slot.