AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display URL vs. Primary URL

MC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
MC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone point me in the right direction for information on...My URL is over 36 characters in length, I have purchased a shorter one but am concerned about SEO that I am being told will be lost if I switch my primary to the shorter domain.  Will google allow a redirect through my servers to the longer URL?

MC

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Display URL vs. Primary URL

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey MC,

I had this issue with a client just last week, I havent still gone live with the account though, so can't give you any details on if this works... But heres what I researched:

"For the display URL, you can actually enter a longer URL, but it'll appear shortened when the ad is displayed."

Source: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=175910

"Google can only show up to 35 characters of your display URL (or 20 characters for WAP mobile ads). If your display URL is longer, a shortened version will be shown with your ad."

Source: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6314

Also, according to this post, Google has started testing longer Display URLs.

http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/google-adwords-showing-extended-display-urls/

So basically, all I am sayong is just try adding your URL and uploading your ads... Contact Google personally for this and see what they can do.

I just have 1 concern here though - When they say 'shortened version will be seen' what do they mean... 

for example, if your URL is something like 'www.happybirthdayballoonsforbabygirls.com... if they shorten it to 'www.happybir...girls.com' then the URL doesnt make sense. A display URL is something that should make the user realise where they are going to be taken. So I guess you will just have to try this out! Smiley Happy

Also, regarding the redirect- I'd suggest this only if nothing else works.

If your site is a lead based business, this solution is do-able... if its an ecommerce website, it may be difficult to implement. Please discuss the feasibility of this with your tech team.

>> What you could do is duplicate your website on the shorter domain name URL and block this site fom the SEO bot using robots.txt so that your SEO doesnt get penalized for duplicate content. Use the longer URL for your primary SEO and the shorter one for PPC.

This will help you do your SEO for the longer primary URL that you want, and allow you to use AdWords as a marketing tool! Smiley Happy

Just another thing that wont work:

Using the Shorter URL for AdWords and redirecting this to the longer URL.

Adwords doesn't like redirection on the landing pages. So your ads may eventually get banned.

Hope this helped!

Cheers,

Shweta

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords Text Ads Format:

Title: 25 characters

Description Line 1: 35 characters

Description Line 2: 35 characters

Display URL:35 characters

Destination URL(LANDING PAGE): 1,024 characters

If you are going to eliminate "www." from your website address, does it still exceeds 35 characters?

More Power,
Loraine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey MC,

I had this issue with a client just last week, I havent still gone live with the account though, so can't give you any details on if this works... But heres what I researched:

"For the display URL, you can actually enter a longer URL, but it'll appear shortened when the ad is displayed."

Source: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=175910

"Google can only show up to 35 characters of your display URL (or 20 characters for WAP mobile ads). If your display URL is longer, a shortened version will be shown with your ad."

Source: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6314

Also, according to this post, Google has started testing longer Display URLs.

http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/google-adwords-showing-extended-display-urls/

So basically, all I am sayong is just try adding your URL and uploading your ads... Contact Google personally for this and see what they can do.

I just have 1 concern here though - When they say 'shortened version will be seen' what do they mean... 

for example, if your URL is something like 'www.happybirthdayballoonsforbabygirls.com... if they shorten it to 'www.happybir...girls.com' then the URL doesnt make sense. A display URL is something that should make the user realise where they are going to be taken. So I guess you will just have to try this out! Smiley Happy

Also, regarding the redirect- I'd suggest this only if nothing else works.

If your site is a lead based business, this solution is do-able... if its an ecommerce website, it may be difficult to implement. Please discuss the feasibility of this with your tech team.

>> What you could do is duplicate your website on the shorter domain name URL and block this site fom the SEO bot using robots.txt so that your SEO doesnt get penalized for duplicate content. Use the longer URL for your primary SEO and the shorter one for PPC.

This will help you do your SEO for the longer primary URL that you want, and allow you to use AdWords as a marketing tool! Smiley Happy

Just another thing that wont work:

Using the Shorter URL for AdWords and redirecting this to the longer URL.

Adwords doesn't like redirection on the landing pages. So your ads may eventually get banned.

Hope this helped!

Cheers,

Shweta

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had a similar problem sometimes back. The longer URL was performing well in Organic search and we didn't want to disturb the same. We kept the shorter URL for Adwords only and blocked rest of the bots (crawlers) using robots.txt. Hope it helps.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi MC,

There's a simpler solution to the duplicate content issue, use the canonical meta tag and point all your duplicated content to the original domain. You could also place only your AdWords landing pages on the new, shortened-url domain, and have all links go to the original domain.

Our web sites all share the same shopping cart domain, which is different from any of our other domains. In other words, the disired action of our landing page takes the visitor to a different domain. That doesn't cause a problem. What I would suggest is that you create some of your site pages in the domain, but not necessarily all of them. Pages for your privacy policy, about your company, and other pages of general subject matter on the new domain and link to those pages from your landing page so your site doesn't appear to the adbot like a one page site.

If you don't have a problem migrating your content to the new domain with a shorter name, point the new domain at the existing content and directory structure (don't recreate everything, just point both sites to the same exact files). Then redirect all traffic from the older domain to the newer domain. This was very easy to do with IIS, I'm not sure how to do that with Apache, but I'm certain it is a simple thing to do. Then get a Webmaster Tools account (if you don't already have one) and submit a change of address for the old url.

After that, when googlebot next visits your page, it will recognize the redirection and update the database to point to your new domain. All of your page rank goes along with it.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords