AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display Target Based On User's Search History?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Is there a way to target display advertising only to users who have certain search terms in their Google search history even if they never visited our site?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Target Based On User's Search History?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff C;

This is a nice question!;

Due to privacy concerns Google does not allow that. Visiting the site is a prerequisite.

Hence, when I hear advertisers   refer to RLSA as "search Remarketing"  - I'd say  this is  inaccurate:  RLSA is a Remarketing  feature requires the users to visit the site and to be  added to the list, while the term "search Remarketing" might imply that this feature is based on the user's past searches - which is not the case.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I fail to understand why targeting search terms for Display Advertising has a privacy issue where as targeting search terms with Seatch Network advertising does not?

Let's say I'm selling widgets. I can create a Campaign that displays a text ad on Google and it's partners in it's search network everytime the user enters "widget store". But I can't create a Display Network campaign that displays an image ad to users that previously entered "widget store" in a search?

If the issue is privacy, what private information am I gaining about the user with Display Advertising search term targeting that I'm not getting with Search Network advertising? You can embed the keyword term they searched for in the ad URL so I can identify (anonymously) which user sessions used which keywords to trigger my ads on the Search network.

What specifically is the privacy issue targeting search terms on the Display network? In both cases, the user's identity is always anonymous unless they submit their personal data on your site.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Jeff C;

Targeting by KWs on the display network is much broader  and focused on themes / topics:  all keywords work collectively as a theme to define a  broad topic, while on the search network, a specific query could revel a specific private interest. 

Furthermore,  don't forget  that, also,  in "classic  Remarketing"  (after the user visited the site) showing ads that could imply health condition, sexual orientation or past criminal records  - is not allowed.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm not talking about keyword targeting in Placements.  I'm talking about search term targeting which is possible with Search Network Campaigns but not Display Network as you pointed out.

You failed to answer this basic question:

What are examples of private information I would get about the user if Display Advertising search term targeting was allowed that I'm not already getting with Search Network advertising?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again @Jeff C;

If targeting based on search history  (on the search network) was allowed, and If (as an example) I were to search about  a trip to the Galapagos -  the  system could imply that I (as a user) would be interested in "travel to exotic destinations", and tour operators (advertising on Google) would be allowed to target me, when advertising exotic vacations..

We could take it to a another level: If I  were to search about vitamin B, the system could infer that I might have an issue with body metabolism, and show ads about improving body metabolism, and If I were to search about knee injuries, I could see ads of knee surgeons offering endoscopic knee surgery... Smiley Surprised

So Google has decided, that  this is  not allowed, unless the user explicitly shows interest in a specific service (e.g. Showing interest in one of the cruise liners to the Galapagos) And, "showing explicit interest" means (in Google's POV): visiting the website.

You could argue about this approach to privacy. However, this is the approach Google has taken when balancing privacy and advertising. (And, personally, I support it, as I think this is  a good balance - not that I had any impact on the decision...).