AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Googlers,

I am fairly new to the display network and are getting some unexpected display add result.

Our Add is appearing on the display network for product (brand) A when the google search was for product (brand) B. Adds & keywords for brand A & B reside in separate campaigns and the campaign settings are exactly the same.

I would have thought that pages brought up by the search have the same content relevancy to the contextual targeting method. There is no other targeting method being used for both campaigns.

Would appreciate it if somebody could shed some light on this. Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

Generally speaking, (without going into the specifics, since that can open  series of discussions) search and display are different "targeting" algorithms. While in search the system matches a search query with a keyword, and tries to find the best keyword (on a list) to trigger your ad; on the display keywords work  collectively as a theme, to find a match between the  theme and  the topic / subject of a webpage. (This is known as contextual targeting)

Obviously;  "theme" targeting (by a set of keywords) is broader than  a specific keyword targeting.. Thus, on the display network, you may see your ads shown on sites relevant to the general topic of your business, while using the search, your can target  a  specific webpage for a given keyword.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’