AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network manage placement targeting method

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi folks,

I'm currently running a display campaign with both topics and placements, and things are going well so far.

However, I have created a list of industry websites that could be useful for display.

Now rather than change targeting method on the current campaign, or narrow it even further, is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't test a duplicate campaign but with the managed placements instead of topics and placements?

I kind of feel there should be a problem, but it would be great to get your thoughts.

Thanks.   

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network manage placement targeting method

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Haydn R ! Welcome to the community !

Your ads will be served in an order of priority , the more specific the placement the more important the Ad will be , hence it will be served with an impression.

I think if you set the same amount as bid for both campaigns, the ads in the managed campaign will have priority over the others, please read here the details :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580293?hl=en&from=112454&rd=1

If you set a larger amount for one of the campaigns , they will compete against each other on an interest level, and the one with the higher Ad Rank will win.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

I personally don't like auto placements; That can result in ads shown in sites irrelevant to your business;

If you have already constructed a list of placements relevant to your business, I would use them without topics. (If you add placements and topics they "overlap": your ad will be shown only on sites that "intercept". - See the Venn diagram on the AdWords display tab that illustrates that.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

And you can use some special placement tips :

1) Gmail ads ( search for mail.gmail.com )

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404243?hl=en

2) Google maps, useful if you are in the tourism business ( special thanks to David_Precisera from the community  )

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Connecting-Ads-with-Google-Maps/m-p/22671/highlig...

[ Edited ]
N/A
# 5
N/A

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'd forgotten the priority order for displaying adverts.

Whilst it sounds like it would be no problem creating a second campaign, I think I'll just swap from topics & interests to managed placements and test.

I'm guessing it'll only be a few days before I find out how they compare and if it doesn't look good I can revert back.

Thanks again.  

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If I add some "topics" to the managed sites and also keywords and age limits, the estimated traffic drops 3 figures from 1 mil to thousands. So maybe the people who setup AdSense are too lazy to properly configure the Topics association with their websites, or maybe they just do a bad job at setting that up.

So just watch the traffic estimates in intersecting more and more barriers for your Display Campaign.

"The Topics are the wrong kind of Topping" Smiley Happy