AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Text Ads competing against Display Ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a question about setting up ads in the Display Network. I know best practices are to separate text and image ads, but if they are in separate ad groups, with exactly the same settings, won't they be competing against each other in bidding for placement? What am I missing? Thanks for any help - Susan

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network Text Ads competing against Display Ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Susan;

Hopefully I got you right...

>>" I know best practices are to separate text and image ads, but if they are in separate ad groups"

Why?

You can set them in the same ad group. The ad shown would be the ad format (text, banner format...) that can fit into a slot on the website. (Assuming that adrank was high enough to win a slot)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sddalg
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Susan;

I don''t quite agree with Moshe on this one. Generally speaking, image ads occupy more than one ad unit. As such, they will generally require a higher bid for the ad to be shown as compared to text ads. Sure, you can place them in the same ad group, but you can't control the bid for individual ads, only for the group.

In addition, not all AdSense publishers accept image ads, and very few accept all sizes of ads. Placing them in separate ad groups does set up a sort of competition between the ad groups. Normally, I set a defalut bid in the image ad group to be higher than the text group. If the image occupies 2 ad units (and ad unit is the size of a text ad), bid at least double for the image ads. If it occupies 3 ad units, bid triple. You won't always pay that much for the clicks you get, but it does establish at least an equal ad rank for the 2 groups. The normal reault is the image ad will be shown if the publisher accepts image ads that size. It's usually best to include more than one image ad size within an ad group so the ads will be eligible to show on more sites.

That said, I also usually include at least one text ad in the ad groups I have designated as image ads. But I also have one adGroup that is only text ads. For the most part, text ads are shown from the text ad group.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete, that makes sense. I'm curious, though: Why do you still include a text ad in your image ad groups?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Pete is raising an interesting argument; I haven't encountered that much difference in bids between images and text ads. - But that could also be a matter of the language targeted. (Bids on less popular non EN sites - are lower)

I try to avoid as much as I can competition between keywords.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Another factor is simply the number of ad slots. If a page has a slot for a banner ad - there can only be one banner ad. If they have a slot for text there can often be more than one text ad... supply and demand.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! So there's another question - if you split out the ads is there a possibility of ending up with both a text and an image ad on the same page?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello again;

One ad per account per webpage (no matter what the ad  format is)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks MosheTLV - I appreciate your help!