AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Targeting / Optimsation Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know people will say it is about testing, testing, testing :-) What I am doing is gathering some opinions / feedback / help :-)

I normally do paid search campaigns but this business is lacking in search volume. As far as I am aware; this company is the only one of its type in the UK - Hence, no one is searching for it.

The company does restoration of wooden shutters (American, Louvre, Plantation etc), this saves

the customer a small fortune in replacing them. The manufacturers know all the big margins are in ripping out and installing from new. They tell / promote to customer's restoration is not possible for the reasons above.

When customers are in the buy funnel the conversion rate in pretty much 100% and they cannot believe such a service exists. 

I have been running search campaigns trying to turn buyers into the restoration route by driving the message in the ad copy and landing page. The bounce rates are high for obvious reasons and of course only a percentage of the customers actually have the shutters to restore. So, I expected low yield but was definitely worth testing.

I am pretty new to the Display Network (AKA the beast, stupidity tax etc etc). I have been running campaigns for a couple of weeks, deploying  various tests on all the targeting options, adgroup's segmented by ad type/ dimension and target method. Experimented with exclusions, with and without below the fold, parked domains etc.

I still can't seem to get any clicks of real value, meaning its not a 100% bounce. I think around three clicks from Gumtree with time on site more than three seconds (I have been monitoring page load times etc).

The questions I have are:

What would be more effective, bidding by impressions or CPC and why?

Would you let Google optimise or control manually in terms of bidding / ad optimisation?

Would you bother with Text ads? I seem to drive a huge amount of impressions from spammy sties.

What seems to be the most effective display ads (leader, MPU, Sky etc)?

How much data should be gathered before looking to optimise?

How much budget should be allocated to get any reasonable results?

If you are running an Interest Targeted adgroup as an example, would you use exclusions and negative keywords to filter for refined targeting?

Any help would be amazing :-) 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network Targeting / Optimsation Help

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Danny,

Here are my opinions on this:

• What would be more effective, bidding by impressions or CPC and why?

CPC's are best when you wish to measure ROI for a direct response campaign. Impressions are best when you're looking to expose your message to a particular amount of people.

• Would you let Google optimise or control manually in terms of bidding / ad optimisation?

Yes. Once you've fine-tuned and gained a few conversions why not let the conversion optimisation algorithm developed by the brilliant minds at Google take over? Computers were made for taking away tedious calculating stress from humans. Take advantage of it.

• Would you bother with Text ads? I seem to drive a huge amount of impressions from spammy sties.

I think even on the display network text ads are more represented than other media formats. If you don't use them then you're throwing away a lot of potential.

• What seems to be the most effective display ads (leader, MPU, Sky etc)?

?

• How much data should be gathered before looking to optimise?

AdWords suggests waiting 2-3 weeks before making judgements and huge changes to campaignes. Of course if your budget is very high and things look like they're headed in the wrong direction then stop the bleeding immediately.

• How much budget should be allocated to get any reasonable results?

I think you'll have to use your projected click costs to figure out what budget is right. AdWords does suggest a budget to start off with.

• If you are running an Interest Targeted adgroup as an example, would you use exclusions and negative keywords to filter for refined targeting?

I don't know. What reason would you do this since you are actually targeting the user and not really a network.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Painperdu - This is fantastic feedback.

With the hybrid targeting I gave a poor and a wrong example. What I was trying to put across is this...

Example: If I use keyword targeting, I would have one ad type (text, display 300*250 etc) per ad group with three or so keywords tightly themed.

Louvre Doors - Banner 300 * 250 - Targeting Method (keywords) - louvre doors uk, internal louvre doors, timber louvre doors.

I repeat this for each creative type / dimension. Then I would do the same for each targeting type using the processes of each targeting method.

So, I know not to use (or sparingly) negative keywords as Google scans the page for any sign of the negative keyword before serving the ad. If I wanted to avoid the word "free" like in a search campaign, I would lose out in reach as the text on the page might reference free delivery or free phone which is out of context of the negative keyword and my said desire to avoid the word "free".

I repeat the structure above  for each targeting type (interest, Topics, Placements etc).

My question would be would you use a blend of the targeting types to narrow your targeting?

Target method:Keywords, exclude X topics within that ad group so Google avoids serving they ads on pages that cover the excluded topics I have chosen. Or, will this just create confusion by trying to control things to much?

I have been running the campaigns currently on a CPM strategy by the sounds of things CPC is better and I will use Google's algo to self determine so I don't have to worry too much :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Biztonságos Keresés szűrő,,Ez fantasztikus visszajelzést""""""",,,,?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello danny m;

You are raising two issues about display networking targeting

>>> "I know not to use (or sparingly) negative keywords as Google scans the page for any sign of the negative keyword before serving the ad."

On the display network, AdWords evaluates the whole set of keywords as a theme. Each keyword is given a "proportional weight", reflecting its contribution the theme of a web page. Hence, you can bid separately on any keyword. (The negative keywords are also included in evaluating the theme)

I also don't like to include negative keywords (on the DN). I rather construct a theme based on the content of web pages, I want to include, rather than (content) of pages I want to exclude.

>>> "My question would be would you use a blend of the targeting types to narrow your targeting?"

I always include keywords (5-10) to set the theme. Then, I choose not more than two additional targeting methods. (Usually topics/ placements / interests). Using too many targeting methods you can find yourself targeting an "empty group". (The Venn diagram on the side helps visualize that.)

Note: if you target using re-marketing, there is a change in settings, if you choose to include re-marketing and interests. I don't want to complicate further, so I will skip it for now.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey MosheTLV,

Thanks for your feedback, I will use your suggestions when I optimise this campaign.

Here is a small Display Case Study of the same campaign I was asking you questions on.

Any feedback would be amazing! :-)

I have let big G take over and switched to from an impression based strategy to CPC. 

Location is Greater London and Essex as the business is service based rather than a product.

I used every ad type and each ad was nested in own ad group, with a unique targeting method

I left Category Exclusions off to allow Google to do its work - Seems fine when I checked and no mass impressions below the fold, Sexual Content, Parked Domains issues

The targeting method's used were:
Interest
Keyword
Placement (I also included managed placements)
Topic

The campaign ran for 5 days and achieved 89 clicks, impressions 89,135, CTR 0.11% - Spend £37.58

83 clicks had a 100% bounce rate, overall bounce rate was 87.5%

The singular CTA is to drive calls and offer quotes to the customer

Here is a URL for the landing page 

http://leytonpolishcraft.co.uk/louvre-doors/

Though, if the experiment works, we will redesign into a responsive site, like my other projects and a bit of love will be injected into the overall project.

Text Ad Example (no option to upload images to show display banners)

Wooden Shutters?
Don't Be Fooled Into Replacing Them
Save £1000's & Get Them Restored!
LeytonPolishcraft.co.uk/Shutters

I have not had a single lead as of yet. Most of my paid search projects return a inbound enquiry every 5 clicks or so across multiple verticals in the service industry. 

I am new to the Display Network as previously mentioned, and understand I need to adjust my expectations and refine my knowledge.

Although I have spent minimal budget and ran over 5 days, I really think its my approach and the way it is setup. 

What I need to understand is this :-)

Am I off message?
Is the landing page not connecting / off message?
Do I need to restructure the account?
Cut back on targeting options?
Run the campaign for longer?
Is the business the right fit to convert in the Display Network?

Any thoughts and feedback would be amazing!

Thanks,

Danny

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi again danny m;

OOhhh...This is a whole case study...

If I get the time I will be gladly look into the data and campaign settings you provide in the coming days.,,,But this does require a deeper look, ans quite some time, and I really cannot promise.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks MosheTLV!

Any feedback would be great. I don't expect a full analysis; if you spotted any glaring issues that jumped out at you and had time to share that would be amazing. :-)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi again danny m;

OK;

Let's start with the landing page;

You want users to reorganize the types of services within seconds after "landing on your webpage":

I prefer a more focused landing page, with bullets highlighting the types of services, using bigger fonts;  I would also include a "contact us" form, for users who wish to leave a message. I would replace the upper banner with a picture that better "communicates" the message of restoration. (The current one "represents" / reflects a home interior design, rather than a restoration - Well...my view.)

As for the display network; I would run two campaigns

1. A must: a re-marketing campaign for users who already had visited your site and did not convert;

2. Another one would be a display campaign focusing on topics and managed placements. (Major interior design sites).
    I am not a great fan of "interests" . I think that Google still has a way to go, to clearly identify the interests of users. (Unlike on Facebook, where a user must "list" all hobbies and demographic profile upon registration..

3. I would hire a graphic designer to set attractive banners (image ads in all sizes) for the display campaign. Most of display sites show image ads. In your business this is essential!

I think that if you start with these tips, you'll see major improvementsin CTR and conversion.

Keep on visiting the Community; and let us know about the progress you are making;

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the great advice Moshe :-)

Nice to see the landing page through someone else's eyes. Totally agree regarding the images and bullets.

I will try out the Display setup suggestions and post back the results in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Danny