AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Keywords & Placements

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want my ads to be served both via keywords and/or placements that I manually select. In other words, I want my ads to appear in either of the following two scenarios: 1. if there is content that is relevant by keyword on sites I am not familiar with, I want Google to find it for me by keyword 2. Any content on a given placement that I select. I tried doing this by uploading keywords and placements but the placements aren't receiving impressions for the most part. I assume because my keyword bids take prioririty. Is this possible within 1 ad group? If not, how can I best acheive this?

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Display Network Keywords & Placements

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 15
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks everyone for all your ideas. Much appreciated!

-David

View solution in original post

Re: Display Network Keywords and Placements

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello davidcorman

If you chose Keywords AND placements - (my preferred setting on the Display to ensure that ads appear only on placements matched an on the relevant pages) - your ads will appear only if BOTH conditions are met: (There is no priority for one condition over the other.)

• Make sure that you check specific reach on campaign settings;
  • If your KWs are relevant to the placements picked, and ad still doesn't show - then, your bid is low,

The following table summarizes well where ads are shown on Display, based on the various targeting options:

Where ads appear on the Display Network depending on your targeting methods

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi davidcorman,

In addition to what Moshe said above, I would also like you to introduce about an interesting Flexible Settings available inside Google Display Network. If currently not, then very soon you will see this option under Google Display Network in the campaign settings under Networks and Devices.

If you happen to choose this option, you can make the changes at the ad group level instead of Campaign level settings, which is quite interesting because this will give you more flexibility as in how to choose various settings at ad group level and will add more broader options for greater reach and greater control of your GDN.

Read this official announcement for more details.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

but the placements aren't receiving impressions for the most part. I assume because my keyword bids take prioririty.'

Are you sure your placements do show Google ads?

Have you added the placement with our without www ? (I am not sure how the system handles this, but it has happened that I added a placement without www and got no impression, then added same placement (domain) with www and suddenly my ads started showing)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. Just to clarify what I am trying to do: I want to be able to target by keywords or placements but the placements don't have to have keyword matching content. I simply want my ads to appear anywhere on those site irrelevant of keywords since the entire sites are relevant to my campaign. For sites I don't know about I want Google to find them via keywords. How is this possible? If not, how can I just target by placements irregardless of keyword content?

Thank you,

David

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@David;

Are you trying to target by placements AND Keywords, or by placement OR keywords.

Check this table : I think it clearly illustrates the combinations available:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1209882

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Or - broad reach. But my placements are getting almost no impressions. The keywords are getting 99.5% of the impressions.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

David;

Again; If you chose placements and Keywords in broad reach:  ads appear based on contextual targeting in any web page that matches the contextual targeting (including placement sites,  as well as others). In this case the placements are used only for bidding. (Not  for content targeting) :

• (Keywords + placements : broad reach): "The ad appears on contextually relevant pages on the Display Network (based on the keywords). Whenever the ad is contextually matched on a particular placement, the placement bid is used. (For example, you can bid up or down on managed placements and still show across the Display Network on other sites contextually related to your keywords.)"

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Right I know that in terms of keywords - but I want my placements to appear regardless of contextual relevance. I chose a list of websites that are entirely related to my campaign and I want my ads to appear on any page on those sites.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

David;

This option was available in the past.... I don't think it exists anymore. (Though, not absolutely sure). Google wants ads to appear only on relevant pages. You can't have your ads for "ready to serve dinners", shown on legal web pages, just because you decide to target legal content. (Unless lawyers eat dinner at the office.... Smiley Happy)

So, you must give the system a few keywords to target / find relevant pages, using contextual targeting.

http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/getting-started/index.html#tab0=3