AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Ads Not Running

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I was having a problem before with my display ad campaign, then trudged through and finally

was getting impressions yesterday (after waiting for the approval period to end).

No clicks (which is ok), but got about 35 impressions on affiliate sites in placements.

There were no clicks yesterday, and the same amount of $ is still available in the campaign,

but I have realized zero impressions over the whole day today.

Thanks, Brian

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network Ads Not Running

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

How are you targeting? (Keywords?; placements; auto-palcements?)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi there, 

Some great thoughts from Moshe there, but also just to check what types of ads you have in your campaign? If you have a variety of image ads and at least one text ad, this tends to help out with giving your ads the greatest chance to show on th display network. 

Hope this helps! Let the Community know if you need a little more help!

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Alys,

Below are 2 snapshots of the activity, as on the 8th I had received impressions,

then on the 9th I received none.

I didn't change the max amount of $ on either the keywords or the placement bids.

There is one thing I had done that you had mentioned something about. On the 8th

where it shows the traffic I had actually a 3rd text ad (the snapshot only shows 2),

the 3rd ad had realized like 69 impressions, so I had deleted it. It almost did seem

like that coincided with my impression rate going off the fiscal cliff after that.

I had received an email from google tech support, saying different options, but I

think it may have been a blanket adword response, one of the suggestions was to

raise the bids, but I do not think that would explain why I would get so many one

day and not the next at the same $ bids.

I will try making another ad and see if that works.

Also, any ideas why I would get impressions on my 2 display ads, but none on

the other 2?

Thanks, Brian

Jan-8-2013

Jan-8-13

Jan-9-2013

Jan-9-13

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@zewlander;

So how is your display campaign is structured ? What are the teaching methods  you are using?

Read more:

About targeting settings on the Display Network

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882/

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you mean 'reaching' methods?

I am doing certain targeting to specific demographics, age, education, finances, but also

out to the whole US. I have about 60 something keywords and about 84 affiliate placements.

As in the above message snapshots, I didn't change anything! except removing a frequently

performing text ad.

So, I just wonder why the sudden drop off in impressions.

I got 2 impressions today with the 1st text ad, but nothing with any of the display ads.

This tells me I'm still running at least.

I am not doing any automatic placements.

Thanks, Brian

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi there, 

Thanks for sharing those screenshots! That's very helpful! 

One things that jumps out at me right away is that when your ad showed it didn't receive any clicks, so your click through rate (CTR) was 0.00%. To help get your ad showing regularly and in good spots it is important to have a good quality score. CTR is a very important element of quality score, so when your ad was shown on the Display Network and received a poor CTR, this won't have helped get your ads to serve more regularly. 

So, to try and help you get up and running here a couple of things to try and look at would be anything you could change to try and encourage users to click (enticing ads, specific targeting on Display Network), consider raising your bids as a way to try and help get your ads triggering, giving you the opportunity to raise your CTR, and make sure you have a variety of types of ad sizes, shapes.

Hope this helps!

A. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Quote:

>> " I am doing certain targeting to specific demographics, age, education, finances, but also

out to the whole US. I have about 60 something keywords and about 84 affiliate placements."

It seems to me that you are targeting too many audiences at once; and the result is an "empty group" (aka "empty set"). There is no audience that matches all the criteria you included ( Age AND education AND Geo. AND keywords AND placements..etc...). I think you'll start getting impressions if target broader groups.

Moreover ; you are using demographic targeting. Google is not at the level of Facebook in demographic targeting. I would not recommend to target the display network using demographic parameters.

I would start with placements and keywords (5-10 KWs would do - the system doesn't need that many KWs to determine the "content theme" of a page.)

-Moshe