AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Ad Segment - Keyword/Placement

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello all, 

I have a question regarding a segment within a Display Network campaign. 

On the Ads tab, within an ad group that strictly uses Keyword targeting, I've selected the Segment "Keyword/Placement." Now, under each ad, there are two rows: "Content," and "AutomaticContent."

What do I make of this information? What is the different between the two? 

Any insights or suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anthony M
February 2016

Re: Display Network Ad Segment - Keyword/Placement

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Anthony,

In the Targeting section of the Display Network tab do you have Targeting Optimization enabled? If so then I believe that the "Content" segment will be for the keywords that you are targeting and the "AutomaticContent" segment is for the additional customers that AdWords is targeting. Here is an article about this feature: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/190596

-Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Anthony,

Below is a snippet from an article that may be useful

"Automatic GDN matches, including automatic placements, all fall under the “AutomaticContent” row. In addition, the “placements” that are recorded here use the esoteric language of the API, such as “boomuserlist” (translation: a remarketing audience). The data are exciting, but a usability improvement will be required before a lot of advertisers are able to apply the insights."

Article: http://searchengineland.com/never-seen-adwords-data-thats-quietly-rolled-account-237998

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anthony M
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Anthony,

In the Targeting section of the Display Network tab do you have Targeting Optimization enabled? If so then I believe that the "Content" segment will be for the keywords that you are targeting and the "AutomaticContent" segment is for the additional customers that AdWords is targeting. Here is an article about this feature: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/190596

-Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Jordan Burleson;

For resources for training/ guidance or troubleshooting, please refer users only to sources by Google or endorsed by Google. The reason is that we cannot verify the accuracy  of content outside the "Google domain", and if found with an error -  we cannot fix. On the other hand, content on this community, or on other Google endorsed  / controlled  domains can be corrected.

Thanks;

[Edited for clarification]

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
That was it. Thank you for your time and expertise.